Good, strong gloves, but not leather?

G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks, Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable. Although opinions differ on this.

Reply to
David Pearson

=================== Look in B&Q, Focus etc. for bright yellow / orange gloves. They're rubberised cotton (I think!) and more durable than most gloves. Good for rough work but not particularly good where a sensitive touch is needed.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I think the sheds charge an arm and leg (well another arm anyway) for these, as a profit leader. You get virtually the same gloves for 50p at a DIY stall at a Saturday market that would cost £3 in the high street.

Reply to
Rusty

I was wearing some whilst using the angle grinder to cut roofing tiles. I did accidently touch the cutting disc at one point and they protected me from that (leather would have been better protection against a more serious attempt at cutting a finger off). They end up full of sweat though, as they can't breath, and they take ages to dry out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have no answer to your question, but I commend you on your quest. I know numbers of people who describe themselves as vegetarian, but are no such thing; what they mean is that they do not eat red meat.

Reply to
Huge

You could always be practical - the animal is dead, and by refusing to use leather made from its hide ensures it at least partially died in vain :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You could check with the Vegetarian Society. They may have appropriate companies who have registered with them to use their 'Seedling Symbol'. Even if not they're likely to have someone who knows the answer to your question.

0161 925 2000

NB Don't put a uk at the end of org; that's someone else.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Arco do a kevlar lined pvc dipped glove...

Reply to
James Salisbury

Someone else ate the cow, it's a shame to waste the skin ...

On the other hand :-)

Rob Morley

Yes, they're either very cheap or very expensive.

You can find orange knit "gripper" gloves with rubbery "strings" across them cheaply at any market tool stall. These are great - hard wearing for handling bricks and masonry and well ventilated for working hard. They're useless for waterproofing or garden waste though as things catch on the surface.

Next step up is PVC gloves from a typical toolshop. These are waterproof (depending on cuff length) and if you get the heavyweight ones, then they're good for bramble-clearing too. However you'll swat like a pig in them. If you can be bothered, taking a hole punch to the backs and ventilating them a bit can help a lot - use a hole punch, because sharp skewer holes will tear.

Then you're off to Arco (real industrial supplier, on the web too) and spending serious money. They have _lots_ of gloves and you can "mis use" some sorts for other purposes.

Hydrogen peroxide handling gloves are vegetarian (they must avoid anything flammable when doused in a powerful oxidiser) and practically bombproof, but you have to find them mil-surplus to be affordable.

I still haven't found non-leather welding gloves though, either cheap tough gauntlets, or flexible kid gloves for delicate TIG welding (I use Luftwaffe officer's uniform gloves)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There are a few options, but they are not direct replacements as such. Kevlar as others have said is close. Nitrile dipped cotton are good for anything wet, and offer quite good resistance to puncture. The woven handling gloves can also be very good for some tasks. These are coated with a mesh of latex ribs and give them massive grip on flat heavy usually difficult to grip things like sheets of MDF, chip or plasterboard. For delicate tasks (painting, plumbing, car washing) then latex examination gloves are very good for slight hand protection but also keeping them clean. Finally for protection from dangerous sharp edges you can also get chainmail gloves.

Reply to
John Rumm

Beekeepers' gloves. Come with thick cotton 'sleeves' to protect well up the arm from sparks too.

But not very good for brambles and roses, holly, thistles, hawthorne, blackthorn, pyracantha and the rest of the very prickly stuff in our garden :-(

For dealing with those I use the green rippled plastic palmed gloves which are univesally available. Yes, I sweat inside a bit but keep taking them off and also have a second pair to hand.

As it were.

After use I sprinkle their insides with talc.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Pescivores? ;-)

Before they ran the recent "Can you keep it up for a week?" campaign the VegSoc were handing out reminder cards for restaurants saying that, if it had a face, it shouldn't be served to vegetarians. Too many so-called professional caterers think that a tuna salad is a good vegetarian option - and very few appreciate the minefield in the sweet course. ;-(

Linking back to relevance to DIY - just because someone is paid to do a job doesn't mean that they automatically do it better than amateurs.

Reply to
John Cartmell

"David Pearson" wrote > Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same

Thanks everyone, for all this info.

One thing concerns me about the orange woven gloves with rubbery webbing on them. If a piece got itself attached to a moving power tool, I worry that nasty things could happen. One poster (Andrew Gabriel) had one interact with his angle grinder and nothing bad happened, but can anyone else give me such good news about these things? (Or the opposite, if they have any fingers left to type with!?).

The coated kevlar sounds good for really hand- damaging jobs.

As for the ethics of using bits of dead cow, I refuse to be drawn. Especially on a DIY newsgroup!

Moooo...

-D. Pearson

Reply to
David Pearson

I think the problem is more with breeding the cow for killing rather than using bits of an already dead cow. Taking DIY to a theoretical extreme maybe we shouldn't be asking people to do what we wouldn't do ourselves - and lots would be reasonably reluctant to kill other animals.

Reply to
John Cartmell

The trouble with killing a cow in UK is that we're not allowed to do it ourselves whether we wanted to or not. I'd be happy to do it with a cow or bullock I knew.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hmm. Worms don't have faces.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Depends what you define as a face.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As far as I'm aware there aren't too many restaurants trying to serve worms - at least not with their customers' agreement. You do get restaurants (and, more problematically, caterers) offering fish as a vegetarian option. Frequently it's the *only* 'vegetarian' option.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Or something cheesy.

When we didn't eat meat and went to restaurants I just asked for the main meal without the meat. They still said they had 'vegetarian options' but I declined.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher