Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

But as they are the only ones, they are in fact for everyone. Not even a repeated one on the far side.

Reply to
polygonum

charles :

I was referring to the lights, not the buttons.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

at eye level for wheel chair users ;-)

Reply to
charles

We have them here in Stratford, London or at least very similar. Just outside the tube station between that and the old stratford centre. That way you can estimate whether or not you can run across the road before the lights change.

Sounds like a good idea but wouldn't the rubber perish in our UK enviroment.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Very common around here

Reply to
fred

Very common around here

+++++++++++++++++++

Many US public buildings go even further and have flush-free urinals. Keep meaning to look-up the technology behind them.

Some German buildings also have "sensor activated" urinal flushing. As you approach, you break a light beam and the "every few minutes" flush only happens if someone has use the facilities since the last flush.

Paul DS

+++++++++ No "reply indenting" - Using Windows Live Mail 2012 - don't laugh.
Reply to
Paul D Smith

as fitted in the Westway Shopping Centre - they pong a bit.

John Lewis, Oxford Circus, uses IR to detect use.

Reply to
charles

On 06/02/2013 12:43, Paul D Smith wrote: ...

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Esculators at tube stations only coming on when people were using them. Think it was a light sensor triggered as you apporach the stairs. Stockholm 1985.

Reply to
whisky-dave

charles spake thus:

Yup. You are delayed for 30 seconds or so. Fined if you go through the red light.

Reply to
Scion

Nightjar spake thus:

That isn't the sole aim, just a side benefit.

Reply to
Scion

seen in Hamburg 1979.

Reply to
charles

The problem is the UK has an official policy of actively *discouraging* people from using their cars. The ludicrous Northfield and Selly Oak "bypasses" being the logical conclusion of such a policy, where the journey time after the alterations is longer than before. One reason being they have added a few pedestrian lights which are not synched (or deliberately unsynched) with the main lights. So you sit waiting, get a green, and the pedestrian lights 50 yards on go red, so only 3 cars go through at a time.

There are a few roads (the A4123 for example) which are long, straight, and have loads of junctions. It *should* be possible to drive through just under the speed limit (40) such that you go through one green, you go through the lot. Indeed, apparently it was possible. Until someone somewhere decided this made car use too attractive, and rephased them.

Does anyone know if the A4 from Hounslow to Chiswick has been messed with? I used to be able to get on it, keep my speed at 35, and sail through every set of lights.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But wouldn't the strain of starting up increase wear and tear ? Like the "eco" system FIAT used on a few Stradas that cut the engine in traffic. Save £5 in fuel to spend on the £100 starter motor you'll need.

Apparently the new Citroen C4 I'm getting soon has a similar system, but somehow uses the alternator to provide the kick start ... must read up about it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Escalators at Genève Airport (and Zürich) that take luggage trolleys, from baggage hall to railway platform on one trolley.

Reply to
djc

Shh. You will upset geof as you don't speed between the reds.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, that's fine for those that have grown up with it, but if we introduced it here, my suggestion would probably be easier for UK drivers to get used to.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Yes I've seen ones like that in France too. Far better than fining people, as you can actually get people to slow down and it doesn't have everyone panic braking as they suddenly spot a camera, despite them not exceeding the limit anyway!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Isn't current thinking that roads are safer with fewer distractions, fewer signs, fewer flashing lights etc.? It makes driver more cautious and when they do encounter a sign/warning/light they more notice.

Reply to
alan

It took me a couple of days. I don't know of anyone not being happy within a week of starting to drive in France. The only real problem here would be confusion with the flashing amber on zebra crossings.

Reply to
John Williamson