Glueing leather to felt ...

I have a nice pair of felt slippers, made to measure for me. Don't need them now, of-course, but winter time, on the tiled floors we have, they're really good!

However, the soles are a bit thin... Now, I have some nice soft shoe leather (off-cuts from the local handmade show shop - has shiny side and a rough side) and I was thinking of cutting some foot shapes and glueing them to the felt, but I'm a bit clueless as to what type of glue to use (and if this is indeed a sensible idea!)

In-Theory, I can get them re-soled by the person who made, them, but as they only lasted one season, it doesn't seem worthwhile, hence the desire for putting a tougher sole on them...

So any suggestions, ideas, etc? I'm thinking it'll need something really flexible - which probably rules out the usual glues I have (2-part epoxy, PVA)

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I've done this exact thing with good old-fashioned contact adhesive - the one glue sniffers are so fond of (senior moment; I'm damned if I can recall what it's called!)

Reply to
Huge

Evostik!

Reply to
Huge

thixofix? ammonia smelling latex glue?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The current stuff isn't a patch on (No pun intended) what it used to be. It used to contain Toluene.

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Reply to
Derek G.

Evostick is good. You don't want toglue anything too stiff to your felt.You'll find that excessively stiff leather will rip the felt. You want a soft flexible leather.

Reply to
harryagain

"Shoe Goo" holds my fell-shoes together so slippers should be a doddle. It's a very strong, very flexible contact adhesive.

Reentrant

To me it's Ados F2

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Doh! Of-course. How could I forver evilstick! I think you can even get it in tubes these days too.

And my memory must really be going - as a scuba diver of many years, there's also the flexible stuff I've used to glue neoprene together black witch or something, but I'll give evostick a go.

Thanks. (And yes, the leather I have is fairly soft, so hopefully shouldn't pull the felt apart!)

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

That could have been BoStik.

Frequently used to glue the black rubber surrounds that retain caravan windows back in. These things continually strain and re-open the joints as the glue sets.

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Reply to
Derek G.

ISTR that there several variaties of Bostick.

Bostick no. 1 was a clear glue. No. 2 was possibly an impact adhesive broadly similar to Evostik. No. 4 (or perhaps 5) was long strips of (whiteish?) rubbery claggum/sealant, and no. 6 was black tarrey-looking gunge.

I'm probably totally wrong about the numbers apart from 1 & 6. :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Possibly. I don't think the outcome varied much no matter which you used. ;-)

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Reply to
Derek G.

Really Black Witch!

e.g.

was also a 2-part we used to stick latex neck seals to neoprene suits, but I decided to leave that to those who knew what they were doing.. That may have been a Bostik product though.. Ah, dredging my memory, Bostik 2402!

But EvoStik is probably easer to get hold of locally.

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On Aug 5, 2:12=A0pm, Gordon Henderson wrot

Evo-stik 528 - nearest you can get to the old red & black Generally good for this, but you have to use it carefully - time it when open until tacky, then press together and leave squashed together for a while.

Evo-stik Timebond. Much nicer to use. Possibly more flexible too. My new favourite for this sort of flexible leatherwork.

Polyurethane glue. What cobblers use. Hard to find (NOT woodworker's PU). Comes in small tubes with rubber sole repair kits from Woolies, or in gallon cans from mail-order cobbler suppliers. The business for serious rigid leatherwork and the only thing for putting soles onto shoes for real outdoor use.

I'd perhaps suggest asking a local cobbler to fix it in place for you (for a reasonable price). Timpsons are surprisingly flexible on this sort of job, if you have a good store manager.

Reply to
Andy Dingley