Glow-worm Spacesaver Pilot

I have an old (1977) Glow-worm Spacesaver 50BF boilerwith a pilot problem.

The problem seems to be that the split pilot flame is small and weak, and does not make it to the thermocouple. I removed the front of the boiler and gave it a clean out, and was able to see the thermocouple clearly. The flame from the pilot is only about half an inch high, and a good quarter of an inch away from the thermocouple. So when I have lit the pilot, it does not matter how long I hold the knob in, as soon as I release it, the flame goes out.

I know that I should be thinking about replacing the boiler, but finances won't stretch that far at the moment, so I am looking for a fix coming up to winter, even if it means a new gas valve (is that possible?).

MJT Controls seem to still supply all the spares for this boiler, so that is not an issue. I am just looking for hints at what could be the problem.

All ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

In message , Alistair writes

Almost certainly the pcb

look at my website -

raden

i had this problem..turned out to be water had somhow got on the pilot and coroded the holes and reduced the flow. i cleaned it with flux and a blowtorch and it has been fine ever since. (dont do this with the pilot still atached to the boiler!)

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

PCB? Blimey... it is that old I didn't think it had one. Would that account fo the very wishy washy flame? I remember the flame used to have a 'jet' type appearance years ago. Now it looks like the sort of flame you eat from a disposable cigarette lighter... small and easily put out. I was hoping it would be just crud in the pilot :(

Reply to
Alistair

Nice try! but this is a really lowtech unit, the only electronics it might have is a RF suppressor across the gas valve. The OP needs to dissassemble and clean out the pilot injector and/or adjust the pilot flame size (a screw on the gas valve).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Alistair writes

My error - there are two versions of the spacesaver, Perm. Pilot and electronic

... and the bit which gives it away is the holding the knob in bit isn't it - sounds like you need a new theromcouple. When you push the button you open the gas valve which is then held in by the thermocouple. If the thermocouple has given up the ghost, the flame goes out when you release the knob

They should be readily available at most C H merchants and only cost a few quid

Reply to
raden

Already noticed my mistake, ... incorrectly it would seem

(having just done some spacesaver boards yesterday)

Reply to
raden

Your problem is most likely down to a partial blockage of the pilot gas flow. This may be due to crud sitting over the injector discharge or it might be due to clogging of the injector itself which will require cleaning or renewal at a cost of a few pounds. Also worth looking at is the pilot gas supply adjustment on the multifunction valve although its unusual for this to alter itself. In any case its a cheap job and does not compare by a couple of factors of ten with replacing the boiler

Reply to
John

my old boiler, no pun intended, is exactly the same type and age and the pilot wouldn't heat the T/C up in cold weather or even light up at all from the igniter, though at least you can use a match though the inspection hole if you don't mind bits of asbestos packing dropping off. I think the porous filter below the pilot nozzle that stops blow back got clogged with gunge after 3 decades. If you get it replaced and it fixes the problem please post.

luggsie.

Reply to
luggsie

Okeydokey... I stuck with my idea of crud, and stripped the boiler down. I have never done any of this before so I stuck to the premise that if it is a gas pipe, leave the bloody thing alone, and everything else is fair game!

I was surprised just how little there is behind one of these things! There was a fair amount of corrosion, very superficial though, so I gave it all a brush out and hoovered the crap out of the flue to the outside wall. My bottle went when I came to the pilot jet. There are two nuts on it... one larger one on the gas feed pipe below and a smaller one on what appears to be the pilot jet itself. I put a spanner on them and they did not seem to want to budge, and I was frightened to go any further. Plan B... Into my computer desk and pulled out one of those compressed air dusters. Put the flexible pipe in the top of the gas jet and gave it a good blast. Bingo... a split pilot flame that reaches the thermocouple! The boiler fired up fine. Hot water and central heating for the first time in over a year!! Have bled the rads etc., but I would really like to get the injector properly cleaned or replaced, but as I say, when spanners dont move I lose my bravado. Any idea which nut I should undo and in what direction... or should I call a fitter in to do it?

Thanks for the help everyone... very much obliged indeed!

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

In message , Alistair writes

I should have remembered a thread between Ed and myself last year.

There is an electronic version with a pcb, a fan and all.

As I only come in contact with that version, I never think of the previous version.

Reply to
raden

Which are still around in big numbers.

Reply to