Glow Worm - Good/bad?

Anyone have any experience of the the 30Sxi or 30Hxi models?

They seem to have one of the greatest burner modulation ranges 28-5 kW but I haven't seen any favourable or otherwise reports.

Or should I go with one of these two, which seem to be more popular on this group:

Vaillant Ecomax 635 (new model with greater modulation than previous models) Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE system.

Quiet or noisy? For (upstairs cupboard other side of bedroom wall)

Any reason why the Glow Worm system model is cheaper than the conventinal, even though it includes the pump and expansion vessel?

Any comments gratefully received.

TIA

Reply to
Bill M

If you're looking for a wide modulation range, take a look at

Their Eco Hometec-badged MAN Micromat boilers modulate over a wide range, e.g. 5.1-30kW for the EC31. I have their EC31S combi. It replaced a very old Glow Worm Fuelsaver 55F. Very pleased with it.

Not particularly cheap though - if you're looking for cheap I would suggest looking elsewhere. This might be why it's not so "popular" on this group. Built to last, though (touch wood!).

You should find plenty of Google-archived posts by Andy Hall and myself on the subject.

Regards,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Glow Worm condensers are excellent. Most of the parts are made by Vaillant, as Vaillant own them. Since Vaillant took over the quality levels have risen.

Scale of manufacture. More systems are sold than the heating version.

Reply to
IMM

I looked closely at the MAN boilers some time ago. It would be my boiler of choice, but the price left little out of £2k by the time you added in the flue, isolation valves, RS232 cable, their recommended commisioning visit etc.

Searched and searched but could not turn out any comments on the newer Glow Worm boilers. I just don't want to have to live with a bad choice

- which is just based on the burner modulation range!!

Regards

Bill

Reply to
Bill M

I have the 28HE System. It is excellent. I have no experience of the others.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Only recently had a 30HXI installed so can't really comment, but £438+VAT from

must be the cheapest price anywhere?

Hardest bit was finding a reasonably-priced installer (BTW you don't need to go with any of the installers registered with the scheme, they don't seem to concerned about the installer side of things, I could have put anyones name on the form, didn't ask for CORGI number or anything.)

Not surprisingly the installer I did use signed up with the scheme, he couldn't beleive the prices.

Reply to
Mary Hinge

Was working beside an Ecomax the other day (don't know which model) and pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. When delivering hot water it seemed to cycle on and off rather than modulate to keep the temperature within a few degrees.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Mary

I've got to choose a new boiler soon. Now you have had some time with the Glow Worm, could you give me an idea of how noisy it is. I want to put the boiler on the otherside of our bedroom wall in an airing cupboard. The bedroom door is next to the airing cupboard door, so not much sound isolation there.

I was nosing around a showhouse (Barrat/Wimpey type). They used Ideal Icos boilers - loads of noise from the fanned flue. It was fitted in the kitchen so not too much of a problem in that case, but I wouldn't want that kind of noise level six foot away at 6 AM!!

Grateful for any comments you have.

ps Thanks for the pointer to the Use less energy site.

Bill M

Reply to
BillM