Getting paint off pipes

Getting paint (usually emulsion) off of copper pipes is a right PITA. Has to be done though.

Ok if you can get a blowlamp involved, but many times you can't. I've tried pipe prep tools, those open mesh abrasive strips for plumbers & stainless steel scrubby thingys, all work, but too slow.

Any other methods of shifting it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have tried all the below - but it does stick rather well, doesn't it? Don't think anything actually works better than Nitromors. Except replacing the pipe... :-)

Nitromors. Sandpaper. Scotchbrite pads. Scrubbing brush and vim (scouring powder). NaOH. Wire brush.

Reply to
Rod

Have a look in Wickes for one of the blue pipe cleaner thingies (cost about a fiver IIRC - looks like a blue cylinder about 40mm diameter and

75mm long). It has a 15mm end and a 22mm one. The inside being lined with a fine steel brush. You shove it over the end of the pipe and turn. One direction is easy - a few turns and it leaves the pipe nice and clean if its just dirty metal. Turn it the other way however and you get a much harsher brush action - that will usually take emulsion off.
Reply to
John Rumm

Once upon a time I'd have just said: "It'd be cheaper and quicker to replace the pipe." But I suppose that is no longer the case...

Spamlet

I've got one of those, but its not doing the job - maybe I need to replace it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Having a similar problem recently I just tapped the paint with the side of a file and it chipped off.

Other than that.............

. . . . . . Angle Grinder ;-)

Reply to
RW

I was actually thinking of using my Dremel - does that count as an angle grinder?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman