Generator

The RCD plugged into the generators socket, and feeding the rest of the house.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I doubt that the supply authority (distribution network operator, or whatever they're called this week) would accept that. (You do realise that you're supposed to liaise with them?) You'd need two contactors and it would only need the contacts on the mains feed one to weld closed for your genny to be capable of back-feeding the mains... A conventional generator change-over switch is much safer and more straightforward bet.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes but it's not fail safe, it relies on the RCD being plugged in and not removed if/when it "nuisance" trips. And you still need to bond one of the generator phases to chassis and local earth rod so that things are correct for the house wiring, ie "neutral" can't float significantly away from earth.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , tony sayer writes

You just reminded me I forgot to fetch their new CD home tonight, thanks. Do you have a part No by any chance Tony?

Reply to
Bill

Hi Andy,

No I didn't thanks. May be worth a call to them to see what they would expect to see in the way of protection.

Is a conventional change over switch automatic or manually operated? I was looking at a contactor as that is what is in the control panel of the genny at the moment, unfortunately it is only rated at 40A, it came off a remote radio site and only had to back a fairly small load and so didn't warrant a higher rated unit.

Reply to
Bill

In article , Bill writes

Check yer mail:)

Reply to
tony sayer
[Liaise with supplier]

The difficult bit these days will be getting through to someone who understands what you're talking about. Contact the distribution network operator for your area, not the supplier who sends your bills.

I had the manual type in mind.

Reply to
Andy Wade

They'll probably be happy with a proper changeover switch with a fool proof break before make action. This is normally arranged by having the a 3 position switch with a center off. Indeed this makes sense from safety point of view as you can the ensure that the supply onwards is really off. Just in case you switch it to "generator" to isolate then some bright spark starts the genny...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice