Gas hob left on.

Having read this thread I googled just to find out what you are talking about re thermo paint. Why not paint it on the handles of the pots and if the product can take the temp range paint it on the bits that the pots sit on on the cooker.

ss

What if she objects to holding them?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I just tried standing a small gas mantle upside down so one of the burner outlets plays on it, and it does glow bright white. It's going to be too fragile for any long term use though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How is that going to help the ring being left on and lit? Or are you thinking if it gets blown out and build up of gas?

I think they all do, to stop the glass exploding if shut onto a lit ring.

No chance. Change is not welcome once people start to get a bid doddery, routine and rote rule the day.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I quite liked the idea of a salt that coloured the flame. Would lifting off the flame spreader and putting a bit of paste made from ordinary salt and water near the holes/grooves work?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I've not been following this so apologies for any duplication...

What about suspending a length of non flammable foil over the hob such that the convection air currents cause it to waggle about?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Monday 25 November 2013 21:51 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - you didn;t specify this, but I would...

Whatever you do, she have to get used to "doing something", whether checking for knob alignment (oo-err), looking at thermopaint colour or whatever.

I have a certain amount of paranoia when leaving the house - if I had a gas cooker, "lid down" would be the easiest to do, remember doing and to do correctly.

For the same reason. I love lever taps - quick look and I can see they are all fully off!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I put them on the pan shelves if I'm going to use them again soon, or put them away in the pan cupboard if I'm not.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As a first course of action, making sure the hob has flame failure detection on the rings would be useful. A lit ring is a hazard, an unlit but still on ring even more so!

Changing the control knobs to something that shows you at a glance when a ring is on might help.

Reply to
John Rumm

;-) nice bit of lateral thinking!

Reply to
John Rumm

This would really not be a good idea for a confused person...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts put finger to keyboard:

See

Scion

Might be messy ... or painful.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Here's something with bells on, turns in the heat:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

e pan from the hob at breakfast time. It was lunch time when I noticed that it was still lit. The burner was on low heat and the flame was difficult t o see because the hob is near the window. That, and her eyesight isnt all t hat good.

could be used to switch on a warning light?

omehow to achieve this or is there a solution available in the market place already for this sort of thing?

I thought I was the only one to explore this. Thank you all. Not just a pr oblem for the older person. Kitchens are bright places now, and the flames very clean and hard to see. ROSPA gave me figures - and they were quite com forting as there relatively few accidents from fires and burns in kitchens. They were doubtful that gas suppliers could be persuaded to add a trace su bstance to the gas to colour the flame. However I do think it would be wort h researching and discussing - after all gas suppliers have add a scent for safety purposes. I am experimenting with salt....

Reply to
p.dannheisser

Try a sodium borate (borax) blob on a small loop nichrome wire arranged so that it will be in the flame. This will require replenishing from time to time but should colour the flame without being too invasive.

Can you not mark the controls with dayglo so that there is a strong indication when all controls are safely off?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Modding the knobs might be easier - drill and insert small neodymium magnet in each one so the magnet is at the bottom when the knob's off.

Fix a thin wall ali or brass tube to the fascia under the knobs with a load of reed switches in series, each one aligned to a magnet.

Use reed switches to hold off a small relay that itself triggers a warning light. Power from wall wart. Or improved the circuitry to take less current.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The easy way would be to simply add a switch to the gas tap on each burner and use that to feed your warning device. Would have the added advantage it doesn't need the gas lit to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It seems to me it's the cooker manufacturers rather than the gas suppliers that RoSPA should be lobbying.

Reply to
Graham.

the pan from the hob at breakfast time. It was lunch time when I noticed th at it was still lit. The burner was on low heat and the flame was difficult to see because the hob is near the window. That, and her eyesight isnt all that good.

rn could be used to switch on a warning light?

somehow to achieve this or is there a solution available in the market pla ce already for this sort of thing?

problem for the older person. Kitchens are bright places now, and the flame s very clean and hard to see. ROSPA gave me figures - and they were quite c omforting as there relatively few accidents from fires and burns in kitchen s. They were doubtful that gas suppliers could be persuaded to add a trace substance to the gas to colour the flame. However I do think it would be wo rth researching and discussing - after all gas suppliers have add a scent f or safety purposes. I am experimenting with salt....

a metal electrode placed close enough will pass current when its lit. Likel y could drive a neon directly if you want simple. It wont detect unlit gas though.

Next time I fit a hob I'd like to hook it up to smoke/temp/rate of rise det ectors and use those to switch the thing off automatically. And make it inc onvenient to reset.

NT

Reply to
meow2222