Gas fire goes out

I have used a Cannon Caress gas fire for several years without any problem. It's now taken to going out, quite suddenly, after anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour or more on any setting. It can be blazing away cheerfully on the highest setting, for example, then give a slight 'clunk' or click and its off ! I turn the gas off , just to be on the safe side but its then some time before it is willing to restart.

Any advice gratefully received.

Harry.

Reply to
dognme22

I had a similar problem with a Valor Heartbeat gas fire and it was due to muck in the burners .Has it been serviced or is it due one as thats probably the cause . It's a safety feature .It will get worse and will probably start failing after shorter and shorter periods . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

"Stuart B" wrote

If this is a modern appliance it could also have a safety thermocouple arrangement (can't remember correct terminology). This senses the presence of a flame and if the flame is lost, drops the burner valve out. If this goes faulty it can cause the main valve to close thinking that the flame has gone when it hasn't.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Thanks Phil and StuartB. It hasn't been serviced so I think thats the way to go. Cheers

Harry.

Reply to
dognme22

I'm no expert, but I think they have oxygen depletion sensors too, which have the same effect (our fire did the same for a while, got someone out, and IIRC all they needed to do was blast some air at it to clear away fluff).

Reply to
Colin Wilson

It sounds like the Oxygen depletion sensor is tripping.

This could be due to any one of a number of reasons some of which are trivial and some of which are potentially serious cause for concern. It could be the pilot flame is dirty or the fire could be tring its best not to kill you.

I suggest you get professional help in forthwith.

Reply to
Ed Sirett