Gas Fire Flue

I have a gas fire that I want to replace. Currently it is flues to a roof terminal - using hollow blocks within the thickness of the wall.

Some neighbours in similar houses have had problems with (different) fires and have had all sorts of revolving cowls and vents fitted.

I would really like to consider a balance flue fire to avoid ventilation and flue problems. Should an installer be able to core drill through to the outside and put in some sort of vent for the flue? Is this a sensible approach. Will it give a wider choice of fires?

Reply to
John

As long as the fire backs on to an outside and the original chimney is properly sealed, then you shouldn't have any problems. There are many gas fires on the market today that will be quite happy in any type of flue or chimney system if installed correctly, so this shouldn't be a huge restriction on your choice.

Reply to
BigWallop

You can certainly drill right through a breast and have a terminal on the outside. The choice? Was limited, but now a decent selection of fires available with real flames behind a glass. Some are open to the room and take the air from outside, so no problems. A neighbour has this type and you would not think it was a balanced flue fire. Beware some of them are expensive. More expensive than many CH boilers.

Reply to
IMM