Garage to day room - roof ?

Hi

I live in semi with all houses, with 10m drive, and all houses in area have garages...1m from side back door joined, and both comprising of a flat roof !

The front of the house is south facing( and makes the garage an idea place for a sunny dayroom). remove door and put in window

My question is: Can I remove the flat felt roof and put a conservatory roof on the garage ?

I was thinking of a polycarb, edwardian style. This would put little strain on the single brick walls ?

Any comments would be helpfull !

Any web address of details in garge convertion would be great ... planning to DIY the job

Thanks R

Reply to
ramrod

Both these ideas would require planning permission, which would likely be denied on grounds of 1. reduction in off-street parking (although with 10 metres of drive you could probably argue you have enough already) 2. development out of character with the surroundings

- especially as you would be changing one half of a semi. I'm not sure if you would be covered by the 'conservatory' exemptions from Building Regs having 3 'solid' walls. It might be classed as conversion to a habitable room, which would also need planning permission as well as Building Regs approval.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog