Freeview connections to VCR etc.

Lazy question, but I'll chance it ... maybe someone can suggest a website.

I have just bought a digital set-top box (STB) (Panasonic TU-CT30) and I'm receiving properly.

Problem: recording onto VHS, and general SCART connections.

Each of the VHS machine, the TV, and the STB have two SCART connections. All are Panasonic -- and they seem to be able to talk to one another; but maybe the latter is standard across all brands nowadays?

One STB SCART goes to the TV, the other to the VHS. The other VHS SCART goes to the TV; and that's it. No other SCART plugs sockets to use.

  1. What would one do about a DVD player (hardly ever used, so not a big deal).

  1. I assume that the STB has but one analogue output channel (like NTL cable); at least only one video signal channel.

  2. When I press 'direct record' on the VHS, I get a message something like 'recording directly from TV'; and it records okay. But when the TV gets switched off, the recording stops.

  1. Recording via VHS programme timer does not work (using AV1 as the channel) -- I sort of expected it to work like NTL (by choosing the channel programmed to NTL output). Blank recording, but not noise.

  2. I don't need to be able to switch between digital channels during a recording sequence. But I see the STB has some sort of timer facility

-- there are instructions on the timer, but no indication what is its purpose.

TIA,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng

[...]

Okay, I have downloaded a likely looking document from:

"Connectivity Guidelines for Installers and Manufacturers

A guide to the best practice for the connection of set-top boxes and other products to digital and analogue TV sets to enable recording and optimum digital performance "

Looks like may solve my problems (if solvable). This may take some time ... :-)

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng

Get one of those switchable SCART multi-adapters, or just swap the cables around when you use the DVD.

Eh?

I'd guess the SCART you have connecting the TV to the video is in/out on the video, and the one connecting the STB to the video is out-only on the video - try swapping them around and see what happens.

Reply to
Rob Morley

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1123425939.817610.188530 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If it doesn't work ypu could try

uk.tech.digital-tv

mike

Reply to
mike ring

The problem is that not all SCARTS are the same. Some are RGB - the highest quality - some S-Video, the next best, and some composite only. And then there's whether they link through or accept all the various commands from peripherals. It's a total minefield.

The STB should be connected to the RGB SCART on the TV for best results, as should the DVD (or maybe S-Video). The VHS, either S-Video if an S-VHS, or composite if not, as VHS is way below accepted standards for picture quality these days.

It depends. They're not all the same. You'll need to check the spec.

With mine, I have Smartlink. To set an unattended recording, you do this via the STB - not the VHS or DVD recorder, although obviously they have to be left in a record ready mode.

If the recorder has a Smartlink facility, then this is the way to go. And it will work whether the TV is on or off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Forget the "talking to each other" gimmick. It will force you to connect up incorrectly and cause strange things to happen.

Quite so, AV1 in both units.

NO NO NO. Did I say no ?

Not messy celery.

See my first comment.

Will work if connected correctly.

Its purpose is to switch channels unattended.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Okay, tend to agree.

Experiments follow.

In each case, aerial RF -> VCR -> TV.

Setup 1.

STB -> TV AV1 SCART.

STB -> VCR SCART socket marked AV2 Decoder EXT, AV1 TV nothing to other VCR SCART.

Result 1.

Analogue and Digital TV okay. But not tape playback; assume no record.

Setup 2.

STB -> TV AV1 SCART, as above

STB -> lower VCR SCART socket (i.e. one NOT marked AV2 Decoder EXT, AV1 TV); nothing to SCART marked AV2 Decoder EXT, AV1 TV.

Result 2.

Analogue and Digital TV okay. Tape playback on AV1: sound only.

Setup 3.

STB -> TV AV1 SCART.

STB -> VCR SCART socket marked AV2 Decoder EXT, AV1 TV nothing to other VCR SCART.

VHS lower SCART -> TV lower SCART.

Result 3.

Analogue and Digital TV okay.

Record by REC button on VCR remote control. But no 'Direct TV Rec' (neither via VCR remote nor TV remote). Playback okay (AV1). Possibly this record sees only AV1?

Summary of current state.

Can do most of what I want; have not bothered about DVD yet. Dunno about record via program/timetable. Thus, same as two days ago, except no record via 'Direct TV Rec'.

Is getting VCR to work in Setup 1 (or 2) a matter of retuning the VCR playback channel?

Seems plausible.

[...]

Okay.

I do have a pal who is an ex-TV repairman; he's due to call any day now, so I'll report any further progress.

Many thanks,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng