Fitting a US tap :(

Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". I had ass= umed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now discover= ed that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK :( Looking at the = instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually 1/2" N= PT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from? Ideally I would require = a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I can= plumb around it..

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK :( Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I can plumb around it..

Force it!!!

Reply to
Graham.

assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now disc= overed that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK :( =A0Looking a= t the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually =

1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

ire a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I= can plumb around it..

I've got Grohe taps and they are European fittings which are a slightly different size to UK, rather than a different type. Is the US fitting really a different thread type, rather than just a different thread size?

dan.

Reply to
dent

d assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now dis= covered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK :( =A0Looking = at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually= 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

uire a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as = I can plumb around it..

That's plumbing the depths.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Op zaterdag 19 mei 2012 21:09:49 UTC+2 schreef Lee Nowell het volgende:

You went on holiday to Disneyworld, accidentally walked into a plumbing supply shop and thought "I'll have that one!"? Happens to me all the time.

Anyway, you're lucky it wasn't Australia. The bolts all turn the wrong way.

Reply to
Hognoxious

shop and thought "I'll have that one!"? Happens to me all the time.

Most of my spanners are universal, they can be used on both left and right handed threads.

Reply to
Pete Shew

Solder a bit of copper pipe into the threaded bit. It might have to be bored out.

At 1/2", BSPT is almost the Same as 1/2" NPT. TPI is the same. The Taper is the Same. But one has a 55 Deg Thread form and the Other has 60 deg.

They quite happily fit together.

Baz.

Reply to
Baz

Looking at the tables, I'd agree that the sizes are very close, and I suspe= ct with normal tolerances they would fit together with no problems. I'd sus= pect the most likely scenario for having problems would be fitting an NPT m= ale into a BSP female thread, which isn't the problem here. Unforthunately when I had the same kind of problem the threads were 1/4", w= here the TPI are different...

Reply to
docholliday93

Trying the BSP fitting, it goes about half way in relatively easily but then starts to get tight. I didn't want to force it at this stage in case it threaded it and I would be screwed... I also found a Nickel plated Brass fitting but unsure whether this would work? Anyone any idea what UK brass fittings are actually made from? I assume they are not solid brass?

That sound right Lee. The taper is just starting to engage. Carry on and it will tighten right up. Baz

Reply to
Baz