Fitting a New Immersion Heater

He is even worse now!

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Depends on the grade of copper used. 25 years ago there were many paper thin cylinders around.

He is probably better getting a new cylinder anyway. After 25 years or more, the cylinder may be on its last legs. Best he gets a quick recovery cylinder, not a normal Part L, ignorant counter salesmen push as quick recovery, and he will benefit in reduced bills, and faster re-heats. If he attempts to take out the immersion when full he could be in for a big expensive and messy shock. A new "quick recovery" cylinder, like an Albion superduty or Telford Typhoon, will solve many current and near future problems all in one go.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Perhaps you'd quote an approximate cost for this against the DIY 10 quid or so for a new immersion?

Of course, I forgot there were money trees in planet Drivel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. That is for the OP to take up and run with. I gave the best advice here and gave some products too, one being very cheap.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

And also the cost of building the appropriate blast walls as according to my local "plumbing merchant counter assistant" these hot water tanks explode all the time.

Reply to
Matt

Funny the way your advice always involves spending vast quantities of money regardless. Of course you were probably on commission when working, so that explains it.

Also, unless things go wrong, changing an immersion is pretty straightforward. Changing to a different make of cylinder is likely to involve some quite complex plumbing. Which many would leave to a plumber.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which ones is he talking about?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

In the words of Marshall Mathers, part time corgi trainer and purveyor of plastic pipe and copper cylinders to the masses:

"and in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to Come to think about, his name was.. it was you Damn!"

Reply to
Matt