FENSA Self Certification

I recently had 'replacement' Windows (PVCu) and a front door fitted by a FENSA registered company. The windows were fine but the front door leaks like a sieve as is does not completely mate with the seals either outer or inner. The simple reason is the door is slightly 'warped

Obviously I am in 'dispute' with the supplier to replace the door and that is another story!

What I am particularly interested in is the 'self certification' aspect. If I understand the response to a question to FENSA on this issue, FENSA are only interested in the 'design' aspect, that is that the replacement parts meet Part L of the Building Code (I think that is right). From their response, FENSA apparently couldn't care less if the components are fitted correctly to ensure they are air tight.

The local Building Inspectors tell me they thought FENSA self certification also covered installation, that is the installed product is air tight and meets the intent of the code.

Anyone with any insight on this?

Referring to the installation, the 'fitters' simply installed the door and windows. There was no check by anyone to ensure the parts sealed when closed, no 'Quality Control' and on the basis the door was warped before installation no or ineffective Quality Assurance. It seems to me this FENSA self certification scheme is little short of a marketing scam.

What particularly annoys me is how many other installations are similarly defective? I checked the seals but how many do this? Not many I suspect.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

Have a look at

Mogweed

I don't think pvc doors "warp" but, if the frame was distorted during installation, it would look that way

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Let me put it another way, when a straight edge is put up against the door, the door is bowed. I thought warp means bent out of shape, perhaps I am wrong :-)!

With respect to the FENSA web site, it tells you precisely nothing. It certainly does not indicate, as far as I can see, what 'self certification' means and how Companies given FENSA registration are controlled for compliance, whatever compliance really means.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

Well, if you're going to get technical...:-) Unusual for pvc to warp though.

Sounds like another self-interest group

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I think 'warping' is what something does to itself. 'Bending' is what someone else does to it. A wooden door may warp in damp weather, while a plastic door may bend if forced into an opening the wrong shape. The dictionary definitions mention wood a lot. Anyway - we know what you mean, so the technical definition is moot ;-)

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

I took a look at that site too, trying to find out about DIY certification. All it mentions is a few paragraphs that try to scare you out of getting involved, by mentioning how you will have to bear the costs, and get the planners involved, etc. Talking to a colleague, it cost him £60 and a cup of tea for the inspector to look at the windows he put in, so it is really no big deal getting a certificate.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder