Fax v Scan (OT legal -ish)

Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Regards

John

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Probably because they have not realised one can fax something that was scanned!

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't know, but it may be a case of the law. At one time, contractual documents had to be originals, certified copies or telexes. Then the law was changed and faxes became legal documents. It may just be that the law hasn't been updated to legalise scanned/pdfd documents and that some organisations are not willing to take the risk of acting on documents that are not legally recognised.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Reply to
Chris Bartram

A proviso used to be that there had to be an original document, and the fax machine was considered to be just a photocopier with a remote printing head.

Telex contracts were considered legal documents, as what was typed on either machine was simultaneously printed on both machines, and was traceable, as there existed an unbroken, verified, link between the two machines.

In my experience, firms use the fax as permission to proceed, pending the arrival of the original contract document through the post. Evidence of a contract, but not a contract document.

IANAL, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

accept a Fax but they will not

Very interesting - never thought of it in that way. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
robgraham

I bought a car 10 years ago or so on a faxed contract.

They seemed to think it was binding, even citing the small print on the back of the contract as proof that they could increase the agreed price because the manufacturer had increased their price.

"On the back of the fax?" I said over the 'phone. There was a long silence. We paid the agreed price.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That'll teach them to fax *both* sides...

Reply to
John Williamson

Very interesting - never thought of it in that way. Thanks for the link.

Agreed many thanks from the OP.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

The distance selling regulations recognise email as a proper means of given written notice of intent to cancel the contract.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've sent faxes from this computer which have been accepted. The prog I use produces a TIFF. So could easily be edited before sending. In fact, easier to edit on this machine than a PDF.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)