Failing Shower Switch

When using my electric shower this morning I was aware of a slight burning smell..It was coming from the shower pull switch. I found thst I could not switch it off andd had to use the mains switch . I do have a habit of leaving the pull switch on for long periods .Is this inadvisable and could it have contributed to it's demise ..Is it possible that the contacts have "welded " themselves together .It it likely to be salvageable .?? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Possibly

No.

Yes, but more likely the plastic parts supporting the contacts have melted and can't hold them apart anymore.

No.

You need a new switch. This switch carries high current -- get a good one and not the cheapest no-name. One or more of the cable ends could be damaged too (poor contact in one of the screw terminals is a likely cause). If you replace it yourself, make sure you make very good connections to the cable, or it will happen again. Don't use the shower again until it's been repaired -- it might catch fire, and will make the repair more difficult in any case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is it worth the house going on fire ?

Colin Wilson

one is only about £12...I envisaged them to be much more expensive ...Could even get one of each as a spare . Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

On or around Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:08:56 +0000, Stuart mused:

What 'mains switch'?

Yes. The shower switch is an isolator, not a functional on\off switch. Clamging it on and off and shoving 30A+ across it every time you take a shower will do it more harm than leaving it switched on. I always recommend to leave them switched on.

No.

Probably.

Nope.

Reply to