Europe > UK plug rewiring

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> My mnemonic, only suitable for oldies like me who started off when red was |> live, and brown neutral. | |When/where was brown neutral?

During WWII in the cottage we lived in at the time, as a school boy who did the wiring :-O

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Having installed big computers in Norway I well remember having to change all the disk drives from 3-phase star to delta. (230v between phases) I think this is what you mean by

3-phase, 3-wire... The 3-phase star was (still is:-) 230v from phase to neutral. I never saw star in Belgium, though, but that not to say you are incorrect.

Fortunately, the motors had 6 wires, meaning they could be wired to suit either system. It was interesting working with no Neutral anywhere... It was probably safer since it made you more carful with all the wires :-)

Reply to
John Weston

I used to use: "Blue has an L in it so it isn't Live, Brown has an N is it so it isn't Neutral"

Not as amusing...

Reply to
John Weston

"Brown is earth coloured, so since this is an EU standard, it must be live".

Reply to
Huge

The mnemonic that seems to be currently taught is;- (looking at the inside of a flat three pin plug with the earth pin at the top ... B(ottom) L(eft) ue: B(ottom) R(ight) own BLue BRown

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Jaysus they must have been big disk drives. How much data did they hold ... 10 ... 20 ... 30 ... even 40 MB?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yellow and green looks dangerous like a poisonous snake, so it must be live.

Blue, like flowing water, that's a current so it must be live.

Brown, yes that one must definitely be earth.

BTW, the fixed wiring in italy is black for either live or neutral and blue or grey or white for either live or neutral. Safety first!

Reply to
Steve Firth

Soil isn't green but the "coating" on it often is.

;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

This is not how I've ever seen it done on the US East or West coast. Typically the distribution voltage of 4-12kV runs as 3-phase past the end of each residential street. A single phase is taken up each street and feeds the pole mounted cans (transformers), which are single phase with a 120-0-120 secondary. (This is why residential

3-phase is much harder to get in the US than in Europe -- it usually doesn't exist at the street level in the first place.) Each can feeds around 2 - 4 houses, generally only those with drop cables in reach of the same pole (120V regulation goes to pieces if you try to feed it up whole streets as we routinely do with 240V). In areas of more dense housing, you can get many cans mounted on the same pole. The poles in some streets will also be carrying the 3-phase 4-12kV to other streets, in which case they're taller with the 3-phase circuit mounted at the top (sometimes multiple circuits).
2-phase in the US usually means a 4-wire 2-phase quadrature supply. They don't call their 120-0-120 supply 2-phase (and seemingly get rather angry if anyone does).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Brian Sharrock writes

My next-door neighbour lives in a large farmhouse that over the centuries was split into three houses, and eventually combined back into one. He says that different parts of the house are on the three different phases. Scary.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

Get some Euro Converters from Maplin.

and search for MW44X

No cutting, no stripping, no hassle. As long as they've got them in stock (you can check on line) and you can either find them in the racks (unlikely, stuff is rarely where you expect it to be) or you can make yourself understood over the dreadful noise they play as music.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Sorry?

There are different types and different degrees.

Indeed. And in poor light the problem becomes worse.

No - that condition is pretty rare.

With some degrees of problems you can 'pass' the Ishihara tests by using a suitable colour filter over the eyes - or even tinted glasses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's near enough the set, then, since we've had green and black thought to be the colour of earth as in soil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the green coating turns yellow during a hosepipe ban.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

That's a feature, sir. It's to tell you not to water it.

Reply to
Guy King

But not in neat green and yellow stripes!

Reply to
Adam Funk

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:59:31 +0100 someone who may be Matt wrote this:-

As the IEE showed at the time, many countries are happy with all three phases being the same colour. However, it was felt that the UK wanted separate colours. Black was already partly in use and grey was one of the few colours that could be used. Hence, brown, black and grey.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 16 Aug 2006 18:17:15 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

Do they get many cases where they fall off and make contact with the lower voltage wires?

Reply to
David Hansen

During a hurricane I experienced after nightfall (in the Carolina's ) the only source of illumination, albeit intermittent, was huge sparks and explosions from the wires 'touching' and the transformers exploding and burning .

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Don't know, but they have the phone wires on the same poles too, running at the lowest level.

Many years ago, one of the (then) uk.telecom regulars had their phone line break in a gale some way up the road. The loose end blew onto a 33kV line, sending 33kV back up the phone line. That resulted in a H&S investigation.

The transformers exploding and burning is not uncommon. They are basically a dustbin full of oil with a transformer submerged and the lid sealed on. When they overheat, the lids explode off, and sometimes the oil catches light too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel