Aprilaire Humidifier

My ten year old furnace has an Aprilaire humidifier (Model 550) on it. It has quit working. I clean my furnace filters monthly and oil the motor as required, but I completely forgot to clean the in-line strainer that is on the humidifier. I tool it apart and cleaned it but the humidifier still does not pump water through the system I'm guessing that the humidifier "pump" was water cooled and has burnt out. Before I go buy an replacement part, could it be something else? Thanks!

Reply to
EvenStephen

I would get a new drip type humifier they are much better and you will not have anywhere near the maintenance as all you need to do is change the filter. there is a solenoid to turn the drip of water on and off. No standing water so no scum or mold isssues are a major plus

ello EvenStephen,

Reply to
wayne

Wayne,

What you are describing sounds EXACTLY like the OP's Aprilaire 550.

It is possible that the solenoid is shot. Listen for it when the furnace kicks on or "hotwire" it to 24v and listen for it to come on. Do you get water out of the line if you disconnect it and open the valve?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

That is how the 550 works.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
EvenStephen

Fortunately, these are relatively simple in design. Sounds like the solenoid, and it shouldn't be pricey. If you have trouble finding it, email me privately and I can get one for you.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Furnace humidifiers are more trouble than they are worth. I took mine out because of heavy lime buildup. More important, the water reservoir dish always had a slimy buildup, probably due to bacteria and fungi growing in the ideally warm water. They feed on the constant supply of food from the fresh air duct that connects to the outside. I think this slime contributed to respiratory problems by producing spores. What I do have is a lot of house plants. They respire and contribute moisture to the room air. If they thrive so do I. I have the correct humidity. The galss on the windows no longer have condensation problems.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

The little thing that looks like a pump is actually a valve. Might want to do some diagnosis. See if the valve is getting 24 VAC when it needs humidity. Most HVAC repair guys are totally qualified to fix this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know about the newer Aprilaires, however, the older one have a solenoid that can be serviced, to some extent. The outside brass unscrews revealing the innards. Also, as the relay inside makes quite a bit of noise, you might not hear the solenoid. I would also check the little plastic orifice in the line after the solenoid. It usually sits in the copper line at one end or another. The pin hole in the plastic can be easily clogged with particulate in the water or lime. Again, my experience is with the older units, so your may be a bit different.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I quit using my furnace humidifier and now use this one positioning it close to a return.

H12 001 Series Wholehouse Humidifier ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2

Reply to
tom

The last time I had to service a furnace-attached humidifier, the water flow problem was caused by deposits in the valve at the cold water line.

It's good that you cleaned the strainer but my experience indicates that you must trace and clean the water supply all the way back to the water pipe.

". . .Pump. . ." ??? Are you sure there is one? When I looked up your humidifier I thought it worked the same way as the one I had to fix.

-Jason

Reply to
jazon48

Hello Big_Jake,

he said PUMP so I thought it was a pad type since what he has just drips water and has been said it only has 1 moving part in the solenoid. Given the age i would probably just get a new one and call it good

Reply to
wayne

I quit using my furnace humidifier and now use this one positioning it close to a return.

H12 001 Series Wholehouse Humidifier ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2

Reply to
tom

No they're not. I've had an Aprilaire for 35 years and have had very minimal problems. I used to change the element out every other year. That was when we had bad water and required a lot of humidity because of poor windows, etc. Now, with better water (Lake Michigan) and good low E windows, I hardly even think about it. You'd be surprised how much good windows reduced the need to add humidity.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Reply to
EvenStephen