Aprilaire 600 or Honeywell HE225/HE265 Humidifier?

Aprilaire 600 or Honeywell HE225/HE265 Humidifier? Following are some of the differences I've gleaned.

Aprilaire 600:

- Outdoor sensor.

- Integrated bypass damper.

- More tried-and-true?

- More people seem to really like them. (?)

Honeywell HE225/HE265:

- Humidicalc+ software (no outdoor sensor). "Designed to measure or infer outdoor temperature." "The first standalone humidistat to control to dewpoint instead of relative humidity."

- Damper not "integrated"? Does it matter?

- Honeywell is "a partner of the American Lung Association® Health House® program that provides guidelines for constructing homes with improved air quality and ventilation. Does this matter?

AgION Humidifier Pads with anti-microbial coating. Apparently these can be used in the Apilaire as well, though.

I'm not sure if some of this is just hype.

Thank you very much for any helpful information.

Reply to
poster3814

I have the Aprilaire. My experience has been very good. Before I bought it, I was were you are now and I found that most everyone agreed that Aprilaire was the way to go.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have the Aprilaire model (760?) with the powered fan and outside sensor and am very happy with it. Very well built, easy to service and has been trouble free. The outside sensor definitely works and lowers the humdidity as the outside temp drops.

I would also recommend getting this model, as it eliminates the whole bypass arrangement. I've never been a fan of that approach for several reasons. One is, I doubt it's good for the hot steel in the furnace heat exchanger to be exposed to high moisture, which occurs with the bypass model. Second, it reduces the blower capacity. And third, unless it has some auto damper, which most don't you have to remember to close/open it for AC/heat season.

Reply to
trader4

I too have an Aprilaire 760, and have installed several. I share the opinion stated below that this is a far better solution than the damper model.

I am totally satisfied with the Aprilaire performance and ease of servicing........extremely well controlled humidity using the outdoor controlled humidistat, very high reliability, and very easy to service. The prior Aprilaire I had in this furnace lasted nearly 20 years, and actually was replaced only because I wanted the outdoor thermostat control and I was putting in a new furnace.

Smarty

I have the Aprilaire model (760?) with the powered fan and outside sensor and am very happy with it. Very well built, easy to service and has been trouble free. The outside sensor definitely works and lowers the humdidity as the outside temp drops.

I would also recommend getting this model, as it eliminates the whole bypass arrangement. I've never been a fan of that approach for several reasons. One is, I doubt it's good for the hot steel in the furnace heat exchanger to be exposed to high moisture, which occurs with the bypass model. Second, it reduces the blower capacity. And third, unless it has some auto damper, which most don't you have to remember to close/open it for AC/heat season.

Reply to
Smarty

What's your goal?

I suggest you use the higher priced one, and have it professionally installed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon