Aprilaire 760 Humidifier

When I got a new furnace five years ago, I kept the old humidifier. Recently I noticed that as soon as the furnace turns on, the fan in the humidifier runs, even if the water solenoid has not kicked in.

I believe that over the years a bit of moisture got in and made a conduction path on the printed circuit board. There was about 26 ohms across the open relay contact.

I built a new control unit and have it mounted externally. It's nothing more than a 24 volt transformer and a 24vac DPDT relay. Works just fine.

What I noticed is the mfg seems to have made things more complicated that they should have. The original control unit contains a 24v *DC* relay and a 24 v DC power supply.

Seems like that was unnecessary.

Reply to
philo

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 20:40:02 -0500, philo posted for all of us to digest...

WAG here: Maybe they wanted to keep the electrical section separate from the furnace in case the furnace went wonky. It might have exceeded the fuse amperage on the control board. Let us know if someone comes up with a plausible answer.

Reply to
Tekkie©

No way.

The coil does not even draw 100 ma

Maybe an a.c. relay in the small pcb formfactor was not avail?

Reply to
philo