Element for old siemens fan oven

Parents old fan oven appears to have croaked - apparantly it got warm (not hot) and then the RCD tripped and took out all the house leccy.

Reset the RCD fine, but now doesn't get warm at all. Fan still works fine.

Assuming it's the element (seems likely) does anyone have any suggestions of a place that might stock a pattern one? I've tried a few places I've got spares from before, and nothing.

Several places (including siemens) offer one, but they are over 70 quid which is about 60 quid more than I'd like to spend ideally. Certainly more that I'd like to spend without confirming it's the element...

Oven is a HB92222GB/02

Element I need (I think) is

of places selling pattern ones for news ovens for 10 quid or so, some of which look suspiciously similar but can't say for sure :-/

Ideas?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Another option is take the element out and go to local repair places, saying you dont know what brand its from, you were given it to replace. You may well find another brand that fits well enough, and is the same or close in power. =A375 is taking the michael.

NT

Reply to
NT

An even cheaper option is to disconnect/remove the element and switch on. If the RCD doesn't trip then a fault lies in the element.

The other day I had a Bosch ceramic hob "glass" replaced after I carelessly dropped a spice jar near the edge. Getting a Bosch man in cost little more than the price of a "glass" from the Interweb with all the hassle of the risk of damage in the post.

Just under 300 quid... Arghh! :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The RCD doesn't trip now. It went once and since then, the element hasn't got warm.

I have meters and could test it, if I was there. I'm not, hence my desire to get an element (most likely problem) and then head over to sort it all in one go.

75 quid is a bit more than I was expecting to pay though!

It's a 20 year old oven. A pretty decent one in it's day, but spares are a bit rare it seems...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Hmmm. Bit of a gamble but might be worth a punt. Looking at some of th elements on ebay for siemens ovens, they list quite detailed spec/sizes. Some look pretty identical to the picture Siemens have of the original.

Assuming the pictures are actually of the real thing, fitting a similar one might just work...

Hmmm

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Order one just before you go. If it turns out not to be what you needed, send it back within 7 days for a refund under the Distance Selling Regs.

As it seems to be a specific part for this oven, don't forget that you're paying someone to keep stock of this for 20 years. It's not as if elements have a high turnover like (say) oil filters on cars.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

There's a fair bit of similarity between models/brands, so its not a bad gamble. Until the screwup fairy makes an appearance.

NT

Reply to
NT

> Plenty of places selling pattern ones for news ovens for 10 quid or so, > some

Cannot answer your question but thought worth adding a bit of info

Had the element go on my xx year old stoves oven

new oem element about 25ukp

Then found that the overload fuse on the back of the oven had blown as well but not listed on the suppliers parts list Managed to source an alternative

The bu**er was the oven thermostat switch which had fused together as a result the element shorting. This would have been another 55ukp and I could not return the element and scrap the cooker as there were connection marks on the element

Managed to get the thermostat apart and free off the points of the switch and clean them up

worth a bit of checking maybe

Regrds

Tony

Reply to
TMC

If its a stanadrd pattern, and most are, there's no reason to shun elements designed for other makes/models, as long as you can shoehorn it in and the power rating is close. Parts for 20yr old kit are seldom hard to find if you know what to do.

NT

Reply to
NT