electronic component to be soldered onto circuit board

Hi All,

I need someone with high level soldering skills to solder a component onto a small circuit board - I think special temperature controlled soldering equipment needs to be used to do this (its way beyond my expertise).

Does anyone know how I can find a local workshop or perhaps individual that could do this work in the London W4 area? (I'm afraid its only a small job)

Thanks, George

Reply to
Tom

Bit more detail would help... such as what sort of component? Surface mount or through hole? Multi-layer board?

Even reasonably dense surface mount can be done by hand if you are careful and use a small iron/tip...

Reply to
John Rumm

Find a competent and willing radio amateur over on UK.radio.amateur to help you out perhaps?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks John, Its actually a screen cable for an old PDA (the screen ribbon cable is soldered onto the connector at the bottom of the screen)- I have tried to do the job myself and already succeeded at making a mess of it - I'll post a photo link to show the problem.

Thanks, G

Reply to
Tom

Tom formulated on Tuesday :

If it has a fair bit of copper content to it, then it likely needs more heat.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Does mean you are neither competent, or willing then?

Dave

Reply to
dave

dave pretended :

It could equally mean that I could not at the moment spare the time.

-but I might be willing/able to help if the OP indicated roughly where he lives.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well from the OPs first post "in the London W4 area":-(

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth laid this down on his screen :

So then, anyone in the W4 area willing to assist him?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, it's a long way from you. Couldn't resist the dig, seeing your call sign.

Dave

Reply to
dave

You are volunteering :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No! I am about as far as way as you are. Preston.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Thanks for the replies - yes I am in London W4!

I tried using a battery powered soldering iron I got from Maplins but it wasn't powerful enough, but an ordinary one was too hot I think.

Please take a look at the photos I've posted in the attached link:-

?action=view&current=psionflexicloseup.jpgThanks, G

Reply to
Tom

One of those "instant heat" ones with a split tip? If so don't use it on electronic circuits, it applies a voltage across the two sides of the tip, which can damage the circuitry.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, not the short-out heat tip type - I just think that it was too cool and the ordinary one I had too hot, combined with my lack of skill it ended in disaster. G

Reply to
Tom

>Temperature is everything, especially with lead free solders which require a higher temperature to melt and flow. Too hot and you destroy the plastic and any adhesion between copper and substrate.

I can only suggest you look for "electronic assembly" in your local directories and pay a visit. Anyone with half an eye and who is competent with a soldering iron should be able to do this for you. If you were local I would say pop in, as it would only take 10 minutes.

Reply to
Fredxx

Fredxx laid this down on his screen :

That has an absolute minimum of copper mass and just needs a good, fine tipped soldering iron and the right knack.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield