Asus notepad. Stopped working doesnt work with battery or mains. Bought
new battery it turned on then straight off again, battery could be flat.
I opened the mains charger and it looks bad.I connected the mains
charger to the mains and used a multimeter on the 19v output and nothing
registered although not sure if I made a connection.
Comments please as I may buy a new mains charger.
Perhaps tiny writing on the (underside of) the Asus might confirm
that. Both my HPs have a statement on one of the underneath labels
which pretty well match the output of the supplied PSU. My newer HP
requires 45w but the older one demands 65w.
I know nothing of electronics but it looks to me that the board
(charger) is fried, I suppose I am hoping the notebook wasnt damaged.
My problem is I only use the notepad twice a year on hols so not wanting
to buy a new one for that reason hence hoping to do a cheap `repair` if
I suppose I could get a replacement charger and if it doesnt work then
resell back on ebay.
Where are you seeing that OOI? I can't see much past the solder flux
and I think 'they all look like that sir'. ;-)
If the battery was previously ok then the PSU failing 'typically'
doesn't damage the laptop.
If the original (replacement) charger doesn't put out 19V off load and
assuming it has a power LED that comes on and no damage /
intermittency to the output cable or plug (they often fail as the
cable exits the PSU and enters the plug) then the chances are it's
just a dead PSU.
Re the new battery, as has been mentioned elsewhere they are normally
supplied with 'some' charge in them but I've also had compatibility
issues where the laptop doesn't see one battery but will see another.
If I didn't have a compatible PSU to hand, or a universal one with a
suitable tip, I'd cut the output lead off the faulty PSU and wire it
into my bench PSU. ;-)
If the power LED comes on but you get no 19V out the DC jack, the
safest way to check the output cable is to measure for continuity
(bleeper is best) between the PCB and laptop plug.
I have salvaged many an otherwise 'faulty' PSU by de-soldering the
output cable, cutting the cable short outside the strain relief
grommet, digging the old cable out of the grommet and threading the
cable back though and re-soldering etc.
I sometimes open the case by cracking it round the seam with a toffee
hammer and when re-glued (with a solvent cement) you often wouldn't
know it had ever been apart (and I only then use them myself).
Cheers, T i m
On Sun, 14 May 2017 15:45:38 -0700 (PDT), firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
<snip> >+1. What does a multimeter tell you about the psu's output?
Well, on DC volts it tells you that the PSU is capable of putting out
the expected voltage, off load. That will at least differentiate
between a completely dead PSU or not.
To test that it is doing so on-load you would either have to open up
the PSU or (better) laptop to measure the PSU output on-load, or, make
an inline 'breakout' adaptor (matching DC male and female plugged back
to back) that would allow you tap into the output of the PSU at the
laptop end (it still wouldn't test to see if the socket was broken off
the laptop motherboard and so not putting the PSU on-load etc).
The last load sensitive unit I had was a DC powered CCTV recorder and
I was able to measure the PSU output on the CCTV unit itself and then
substitute the supplied PSU for my bench PSU (with the current limited
to the marked level on the unit itself) and saw it power up and run ok
(at well below the rated current). I then bought a replacement PSU.
Cheers, T i m
I done a continuity from the input socket (240V) to where the 19V leaves
the board and it didnt register, and that is the extent of my electronic
capabilities. So will order a cheap replacement from ebay with the
correct outputs and see how it goes.
On Mon, 15 May 2017 06:05:06 -0700 (PDT), email@example.com wrote:
At one point I did type to the OP to *carefully* measure the output of
the open PSU with it plugged in and running but now I'm glad I didn't.
However, I can also understand how one might think there would be a
direct link between the input and the output, in the same way people
ask for a plain 'cable' to connect things with completely different
protocols and interface standards.
Cheers, T i m
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.