Electromagnetic Door Control wiring

This is 24V and need to cable up between closer and switched supply.

I have checked the supply does go off with a fire alarm!

What cable should I use? I'd rather use something other than mains cable to differentiate between mains and ELV.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I used telephone cable. I ran six pairs from the wiring centre to the front door, and just used one of those.

The current draw isn't great (on mine, anyway) and the duty cycle is low.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Many thanks for the idea.

Its only a short distance. I would have preferred to have exported an earth as well, given the cases are metal, and the transformer of unknown origin.

I was looking for shielded cable or screened twisted pair, then it dawned on me I can make one conductor earth as well as 0V return!

Reply to
Fredxxx

What current does the solenoid use though? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fire alarm cables are usually red, I don't know if the door closer wiring has to be too, but I don't think it would do any harm.

Screened, available in 2+E and 4+E. Sold per metre.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think he is referring to an electromagnetic door holder rather than a catch so the duty cycle is more or less 100%. The power consumption is still low though - typically only 1 or 2 Watts so almost any cable would be suitable.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That's a good question. I could measure the resistance of one.

I assume it can only take a couple of watts.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, it will be permanently on, even when the door is closed, and only off where there's a fire alarm.

Either way we are talking sub-Amp.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Given the solenoid is fail safe, and power disconnected on alarm, I don't feel the need to use fire resistance cable. However it would be smart to make it easily distinguishable from other cabling.

Reply to
Fredxxx

FWIW, a while back I helped my BIL (a builder) release and re-connect the cabling to a door entry system from a wall he was removing for a company. The 'fail - safe' door bolt along with the alarm keypad were run (some distance) to the reception though a multi core cable, the conductors not much bigger in wire gauge than Cat5 / telephone.

YMMV etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

24V at 1 to 2W so 40 to 80mA.
Reply to
Peter Parry

Peter Parry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Intrigued - how come so little?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Guess lots of turns!

A solenoid is not like a transformer, where I is purely limited by the solenoid coil resistance.

Reply to
Fredxxx

The solenoid doesn't hold the door open directly - it just holds a latch inside the closer which stops the closer operating.

The solenoids which attach to the wall and are no part of the door closer mechanism probably use more.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The figures given were for a solenoid attached to the wall.

Reply to
Peter Parry

This is a solenoid on a wall, separate to the closer.

Reply to
Fredxxx