Electricity supply for boilers

Senile idiot, no reg says that. Point it out for us all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OH NO! British Standards are RECOMMENDATIONS !!!! You DO NOT need to follow them. The IEE is in the building regs which are the law of the land. Get it? Chartered electrical engineer? My oh my!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I changed the wiring of my heating system from an FCU to a 13A plug some time ago to facilitate running it off a generator in the event of an extended power cut.

This means that, should I wish to turn off the ring to which it is connected, I can easily use an extension lead to make a temporary connection to a socket on another ring.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think the assumption is that the combi will be replacing the hot water cylinder and its immersion heater.

If you are fusing locally for the boiler, there is no actual requirement to change the MCB at the head end of the circuit. It was adequately sized to provide fault protection for the cable when the immersion was in use, so it still will be.

16A is a common size for immersion circuits anyway - so there woul dbe a fair chance that would be the case.
Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, I missed that crucial piece of information. I thought it was strange I had spotted something that no-one else had ;)

Aren't I a plant pot ;)

Reply to
Fred

I don't believe any suggested it was.

The "regs" (if you mean the electrical ones) are not law. Building regs carry the force of law, but stop short of actually calling up the wiring regs as a requirement.

Reply to
John Rumm

Absolutely not. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seen the new ammendment to the 17th edition?

The socket that supplies the power for the builder's kettle now needs its own radial supply.

Reply to
ARW

I never let a crucial piece of information ever get in the way of any of my posts.

Just had a look through my tool box. The "crucial piece of infromation" is sat with the spirit level in the "unused tools" compartment of the toolbox. I thought that I had shoved "common sense" in there along with them but I could not find it.

Reply to
ARW

Yes. But not a inanimate as many other plantpots on this forum.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They did.

They are. British Standards are recommendations. The Building regs are the law of the land and punishable if not adhered to. If a Building reg points a BS, that BS is law in only that point and context, but not in others. If the regs state that IEE must be conformed to then that is the law.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Have you the text? Like many on here they mistake "good practices" or practices that have been done for years and no one knows why, as the law.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bollocks.

BS7671 is deemed to be one way to meet Part P aspect of the building regs.

You can also use, for example, VDE100 (German regs) or in fact any other EU member state regulations.

The BCO might want the foreign version of the EIC translated or annotated though, before you go and choose Estonian regs!

Reply to
Tim Watts

You are an IDIOT! Read above AGAIN!!! It was simple to understand.

Because the building regs sates that IEE, German is fine so the law. Get it dumbo?

I would rather have the German regs than ours.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The wibblings of a madman is never easy to understand, except by the madman who wrote it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Please please please go there then. This country simply can't afford your medical care.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

again..."You are an IDIOT! Read above AGAIN!!! It was simple to understand."

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is senile

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

See that neutrino that CERN made? The really tiny particle that is so small and insubstantial that it can pass through the entire planet without anyone really noticing?

That's your brain that is.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My God! Such wit. Wow. Ken Dodd eat your heart out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel