Electricity Substations

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:07:47 +0100, Andy Wade wrote:

Probably not there will almost certainly be more than one way of feeding the area. By closeing normally open switches and opening normally closed ones there will be no supply interuption but the kit they are working on will not be live.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

changeover. The incoming 11kV feed came via some sort of switchgear which isolated the transformer from its feed. They removed the cable between the dead side of the switch and the transformer. Then they removed the 3-phase 415v feeds from the transformer LV side. Along came the crane, winched out the old transformer, dropped the new one in, put a new red cable in from the switch to the HV side of the new transformer and re-connected the LV side.
Then they energised the transformer by throwing the switch but we were still back fed, then they removed the back feed by inserting some fuse links on the LV side which I think meant we were effectively fed by both transformers simultaneously, then they went round the corner to the other transformer and removed some links.
Whilst we were back fed, we were getting about 230volts, but when the fuse links were re-instated, it jumped up to 244volts.
Tim.

Often known as an RMU - ring main unit