Electrical work and regs

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been done to death, but I haven't been able to find the answers I'm after on a google search...

We're in progress with work on our place. Building warrant approved for installation of larger windows into loft conversion and insulation into coombed ceilings. We've also decided to replace the lights, which leads me to my questions...:

I've replaced a single hanging light in each of the upstairs bedrooms with 4 CFL recessed ceiling spots; each set of four has been wired from the original feed using a couple of junction boxes and heat-resistant

2-core 6A lighting flex (because it fits into the plugs supplied with the fittings), and each light is covered with a 20cm eartheware flowerpot, siliconed to the vapour barrier. In addition, I've taken out the existing fan (2 core fan, wired directly from light fitting in bathroom, earth wired to neutral) and will be moving the location of the vent and changing to an inline fan controlled by humidistat and timer. I've also moved a couple of sockets by inserting a junction box and an extra length of cable. In addition to all of the above I've tidied up the original installation where possible and tacked down all the cables to joists - makes it much easier to follow what goes where.

What is the best way to proceed? The BCO has indicated that we can get the scope of the warrant changed and have the electrics added - presumably we just have to get the council in to inspect afterwards? Is it a problem that I've already completed some of the work? Would it be better to get an electrician in to inspect independently of the current warrant?

Also, we're about to lay the (isowool) insulation in the loft, which will cover all the work I've done. Obviously, it can be uncovered but this is a bit of a hassle. Should I take photos of the work now and go on with the insulating?

Thanks again in advance - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

Depends on how concealed your work is. If it's still open for inspection, fine,

No, because the electrician would be unable to sign off someone else's wiring under Part P. The council inspection should be covered by the Building Warrant fee. However, some councils are increasing their fees for BWs involving electrical work to compensate (them).

Tell the council when the insulations going in and give them the chance to inspect beforehand.

Owain

Reply to
Owain