Electric meter reading period

Just got an electricity bill combining two readings or estimates on one bill, each itemised. As they didn't read the meter or send a bill for the first of the two, and it is not dated, plus they don't say it was overdue, they seem to be playing some little game.

This year my electric meter has been read (or estimated) every 2 mnths by Powergen. I seem to remember that years ago it was read every 3 months. I need to dig out all the old bills and check, but this post is easier.

This makes the electric more expensive.as the proportion of expensive primary units (10.23p) to cheap secondary units (7.73p) is increased in a

2 month period rather than 3. Also the number of primary units is now varying from reading to reading and seems to be decreasing. It was 173 units early in the year, now has been as low as 83.

So this seems to pan out that out that they say they read the meter every 2 months, but don't bother to physically turn up for half the readings. and send a bill every 4 months.

This only makes a few pounds difference for me, but added up over say 1 million consumers, it could add up to several millions of extra pounds for them.

Can anyone explain what is going on

thanks

bland

Reply to
bland

Are you sure that there isn't two set of readings because of the latest price rise.

A proportion of the 3 month period will be at the old primary and secondary rates and the rest at the increased price.

I doubt they are billing you for two month periods.

As for meter readings, you can go to the Powergen site and enter them yourself. Just recently, they have been e-mailing me to request them about two weeks before the bill is due.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks, the rate had gone up from 7.21 to 7.73 from one half bill to the other, which would explain the two bills.

Things started to go to pot when they read the meter incorrectly in April and thought I had used negative units so they credited £105. This was all mixed up with a simultaneous price increase.

So its been a bit of a strange year.

bland.

Reply to
bland

a) the government made a bollocks of things b) the companies all have to make a profit

A meter now, under the auspices of the regulator (put in place to allow the government to blame someone else for their failure) should ideally be read by a human every 12 months - and IIRC it should "definitely" be read every two years. Reducing the number of real readings allows a company to shed staff thereby increasing their "efficiency", while at the same time producing zero benefit for the customer.

Ignore the repeated annoying visits from meter readers, as much of the time the readings are wrong, made up at random, transposed digits, or just an excuse to try to persuade you to change supplier to them.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Reply to
hammy1967

Ahh, yes! where are all those people in the late 80's early 90's who were saying 'Just wait till you lot are privatised. Things will be so much better for the customer. Bit of competition will shake you lot up.'

My retort was always 'Yes, just you wait till we're privatised, and see if you continue to get the same level of service you've become used to over the years.' I don't hear too many people extolling the virtues of privatisation these days......

Reply to
The Wanderer

I do

Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

I don't think its all as bad as people think it is. We don't have as many power cuts as we once used to here. Prices have been fairly cheap for a very long while now, and at least you can go to different supplier companies.

Take telecoms for instance. Remember the time when the good 'ole GPO would take months to put a new line in?.

And remember the times the gasman would come to call with the wrong bits etc?.

Good old days eh?. Time don't 'arf distort the memory;!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Not really. They seemed to know what they were doing. It's easier when you're a tradesman first and last - not a salesman pretending to be a gas fitter.

Reply to
John Cartmell

1, and counting.....
Reply to
The Wanderer

Water? Railways? Buses?

Do you like paying much more for less - or do you have shares?

Reply to
John Cartmell

That's because satisfied customers just get on with their lives. The people who suffered were the employees.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I don't think I suffered - early retirement, a very generous golden handshake, time to do the things I wanted with my life and with the money to be able to afford them.....

What I could see, however, was an erosion of standards almost as soon as privatisation was announced.

Discuss:-

Any company that publishes guaranteed minimum standards of service by definition is unable to meet those standards.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Two

Reply to