Dust extraction attachment for drill

Does anyone know of an attachment that can be fitted to an electric power drill (standard 43mm collar) which will allow dust created when drilling to be removed using a vacuum cleaner, dust extraction unit or similar (which I already have)?

I'm not interested in buying a new drill with integral dust collection mechamism, nor using envelopes, plastic bags or trays to collect dust.

Ideally, the attachment will extract dust from the surface of the material being drilled (typically masonry) and remain at that position when the drill penetrates the material.

Reply to
Simon Fisher

Sorry, no answer - I thought that odd. Standard 43mm? Why 43mm??

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Years ago, I bought a gadget that did not attach to the drill, yet may not be covered by your exclusions. Plastic hose to attach to vacuum cleaner, and a rectangular cover (3 inches by 5?) with a hole in it. Rotating disc over hole with four assorted smaller holes. Turn on vacuum, stick it to the wall and select a suitable hole size. Drill, then remove.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Closest I have seen would be:

does not attach to the drill however - you hold or fix it to the wall, and then drill through it. It will collect a certain amount of dust all by itself even without the vacuum.

Reply to
John Rumm

Now that you mention it, I have a Bosch drill bit set which came with a black rubber cup thing, about 5cm across, I always assumed it was for some kind of dust extraction but never really thought about how to use it.

maybe someone here has the answer.

Reply to
jg

on 02/09/2005, Simon Fisher supposed :

When working alone I use:-

Empty 4 Litre plastic milk carton with hole cut in side large enough for drill chuck part to enter, plus smaller hole for bit to pass through in opposite side. Fix vacuum hose in spout of carton with duct tape. Carton hangs upside down as you drill the holes, from the drill bit.

When working with assistant I just get her to hold the vac pipe close to the bit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I do this:

Take an envelope and some masking tape. fold the flap back on the envelope and open it out a bit. Tape the back tot he wall just above the hole using an overlap of a few mm of the tape from the envelope.

Then drill the hole and the waste drops into the envelope. Because its only a few mm of the tape the length of the envelope you can pee lit off easily and move it to the next hole. Then you can throw it in the bin when finished.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson