Re: drill attachment

I agree that working with a round-over bit is asking for trouble. In a hardware store, I saw a drill grinder attachment which had a concave hole, and was thinking that this might do the trick. I was thinking of installing this on a lathe if that's what it takes.

BTW, how did they use to get a nice head > On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:54:10 -0700 (PDT),Deodiaus wro=

te:

>What I really want is a "concave router" bit? =A0Is that the name? > >Basically, something that looks like an cave with teeth. I am sure > >that some Dutch craftman must have a dozen of them if I know where to > >look. > > A "round-over bit" bit will cut a quarter-round profile (two passes gets = a > half-cylinder). > > >Basically, something to attach to the end of my drill so that I can > >round off the ends of the banister. > > There are bits intended for this, but you're nuts if you think you're goi= ng to > do this with a drill. > > >My banister cross section is an ellipse, about 1 inch high and 2 > >inches long. > > There are all sorts of router and shaper bits around to do this sort of t= hing, > but again, forget the drill. =A0It's not going to work and you're likely = to hurt > yourself.
Reply to
Deodiaus

Skilled woodturner with a skew chisel who did nothing but turn bats all day.

Reply to
Father Haskell

More likely a robot programed to turn bats.

Reply to
Leon

WRECK only

Unless it's done in a turd world country, in which case they'd have one guy running the springpole lathe and another skilled woodturner turning bats, and another sanding the finished product with his feet.

-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There are these really cool things out, now, called google and youtube.

-MIKE-

Yea, if you define a CNC lathe as a robot - rough turning 90 seconds.

bats are still made by hand, though.

Just Wondering

If "How It's Made" or"How Do they Do That" runs on one of your cable TV channels, check the episodes for "baseball bat". One has the making of the Louisville Slugger and another covers making aluminum bats.

The wooden bat has the handle end held in place on the lathe by a point tailstock

John

Reply to
news

More likely a robot programed to turn bats.

Mass produced ones are made by CNC these days but the custom ones are still turned by hand.

Reply to
CW

snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

just a FYI,the alloy used in AL bats is aluminum-scandium.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yeah, we used to have more craftsman in this country too... ;)

Reply to
Bill

Jack