Drilling old concrete fence posts?

I've got a line of old concrete posts bordering my house, I'd like to put up a wooden fence, but unfortunately they are spaced wrongly and intermittently for panels, so the best thing would be a featheredge lapped fence. Trouble is, I cannot drill into these posts to screw in the cross battens. Invariably I get in half inch or so, hit a stone, then the drill rapdily goes blunt, and goes no further. I havent tried a diamond drill bit yet, but am not too keen to splash out on one if that is going to wear out after 2 or 3 holes. Any thoughts on what I need? SDS drill with diamond bit? Give up and dig out all the old posts? Thanks for any pointers. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It may be that you are hitting steel reinforcing bar in the post rather than a stone.

It it were a stone, a SDS drill and bit would romp through it easily.

If it is rebar, then you can get rebar cutting masonry bits that ought to do the job. (Just positioning the hole in a different location will probably help you miss the rebar).

Reply to
John Rumm

Make panels to fit. It is probably cheaper.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

SDS with a normal masonry bit. Done it loads of times.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Get some galvanised steel strapping from a builders merchant and wrap it around the post and screw it to the arris rail.

Reply to
dennis

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Yes, but the holes already drilled will let in water, the rebar will rust and the concrete post will start to disintegrate. Any holes drilled need filling pdq. Any others drilled in the post might cause a long term problem even if they don't hit the rebar.

Reply to
Roger

If the posts are morticed for arris rails, there are arris rail bracket which will fit into the morticee so that you can screw them to the new arris rails

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

No being picky, but why is a SDS drill with a normal masonry bit, better than a normal hammer drill with the same bit? Vibrates/hammers more, or something else? Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:01:26 +0100, alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) mused:

Basically SDS drills use a more efficient hammering mechanism. The end of the bit is directly struck whereas a normal percussion drill just sort of rattles the chuck around a bit, really reall lossy way of transferring energy.

Reply to
Lurch

cross

It's all a matter of 'oomph' - much more 'oomph' in the hammer action of an sds drill than the cam operated ones on 'hammer drills'. Most SDS drills use a pneumatic coupling arrangement giving greater travel.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

These posts normally have reinforcing bars in them just to make life more difficult Chris

Reply to
Chris

John Rumm

True, but drilling a 30mm deep hole for a plastic plug shouldn't reach the rebar.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman