Drill bit jammed in B & D drill

I have a drill bit jammed in my Black & Decker (one without a chuck key type chuck. It broke too, so there isn't enough of it sticking out to grasp. How can I remove the chuck or take it aprt to tap out the bit from behind?

Reply to
Homer2911

You can usually unstick a keyless chuck by giving the side of the chuck a good thump with the fleshy part of your palm. If this doesn't work or hurts too much try tapping the chuck with a rubber mallet. You need to tap the chuck in the direction it needs to turn to loosen it.

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

In between the chuck and the body of the drill is a gap this gap will show the shaft, that shaft has two flat sides and you will be able to get a flat half inch spanner in there to hold the chuck whilst freeing the bit.

Flat spanner : the type you get with some power tools.

Reply to
ben

I can loosen the chuck, but the end of the drill is jammed in the inside of the chuck

Reply to
Homer2911

How about those jam jar opener thingies for people with weak hands? The things with a collar and a handle, with a turny bit to tighten the collar. Or some rubber sheet (also in the Asda jam jar opener department) to increase the friction of your vice-like grip?

Reply to
Wally

Ok, I think you're going to have to explain that a lot better before you get a sensible answer.

Reply to
Grunff

Sort of sideways? Removing the chuck probably won't help then. But if you want to, there's usually a screw at the bottom which has a left hand thread. Remove that and the chuck unscrews in the normal way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you tried whacking the nose of the chuck? Sometimes that will shock it loose.

Reply to
Rob Morley

So did I, in a brand new DeWalt cordless. I tried the 'rubber strap grippy thing' but to no avail. I took it back to the (decent) shop and they first looked at me like 'diy plonker'. As it got passed to bigger and bigger blokes I felt a bit better . The last one took it out the back and got it undome somehow. I asked if the keyless chuck could be swapped for a 'real' one .. which they did foc and it's never been any trouble since ;-)

It broke too, so there isn't enough of it sticking out to

You may have sorted the job by now (Ben's spanner tip and grippy thing on the chuck?) but tapping the chuck outer both ways may get lucky ..;-(

How can I remove the chuck or take it aprt to tap out the bit

I think (as mentioned) they are screwed on normally and locked with a reverse thread screw from the inside. Have you later said you have the chuck off now? If you have, is the middle clear (could you put a punch though from the back) or is it 'blind' with no locking screw?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m