B&D Drill/ charger question

I have a small B&D cordless drill (KC12XC) which I have not used for a couple of months. I keep the battery charger plugged in permanently but when I tried the drill it was dead. On further investigation, it seems ther's no power going to the charger. On even furthere investigation I learn that, Yes, I can buy a new charger but at greater cost than a new drill! I take it this means I have to bin a perfectly good drill or go for a totally uneconomic replacement charger?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire

Obviously buy a new drill if the quality is comparable as it comes with a warranty.

Might be possible to repair the charger - I can't say without seeing it.

It's rather silly leaving any charger permanently powered as there is no advantage and it simply wastes power. And certainly not with the battery attached unless it specifically states this is allowable - like some torches. Most cheap chargers will wreck the battery if you do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably the thermal fuse in the charger transformer has performed its intended function and died. I don't think it is economically repairable since the case is welded.

I replaced mine with a NiCd/MH intelligent charger that can cope with 12v batteries (10 cells) and modified the B&D charger battery holder to incorporate a socket for the charger's plug. I threw away the dead transformer and removed the diode (or whatever it is) in series with the battery socket, so the charger can see the delta-V.

It also now charges in an hour, depending on the charge rate selected.

Reply to
JohnW

Just look for a cheap universal charger/power adapter with the same or similar power output from somewhere like Maplins.

dg

Reply to
dg

Just look for a cheap universal charger/power adapter with the same or similar power output from somewhere like Maplins.

dg

But would that fit the battery?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire

Not many (any?) Maplin chargers suitable for charging NiCds will charge a 12v battery pack.

Don't forget that a NiCd charger needs to be a current source, so voltage-based power adapters aren't suitable. A cheap solution might be to limit the maximum charging current using a series resistor so it functions as a trickle charger (C/100) but the cost differential between that and a proper charger is not worth the effort, unless you already have the expensive bit.

The original is a cheap transformer and a diode with the transformer selected so that it provides the right current into a discharged battery, dropping as the battery charges. In doing that, it gets hot, which will take out the thermal fuse if left on for too long. To simply replace the selected transformer with one off the shelf will result is a short life for the NiCds.

Reply to
JohnW

Hi,

Try Ebay, this any good?:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

style_W0QQitemZ190192266618QQihZ009QQcategoryZ122840QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Thanks a lot for that. I'll have a bid on that I think!

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire