9 volt charger with a 7.5 volt Makita drilll?

What happens if you use a smaller than the original 9 volt charger with a 7.5 volt Makita drill, which currently is totally dead.

I just don't have time to find a 7.5 volt wall wart, and it's not worth the money to buy new.

Reply to
micky

Critically dependent on which drill and which charger. My guess is that you'll overcharge the battery if it happens before you smoke the charger.

Primary failure mode of a drill battery that's been discharged for a while is shorted cells...sometimes ALL of them. Even the right charger may smoke itself while overcharging the remaining cells that aren't shorted.

Reply to
mike

Hmmm, Put a proper rated resistor in series. If you have a multimeter, you can figure it out quick.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Since you said the charger is smaller, it probably is rated at less current and you may burn it out.

If you try it (assuming the polarity is correct)

carefully monitor the charger and the battery for overheating and disconnect at once if they get hot.

The slight over-voltage is probably not going to be an issue if there is a regulator chip in the drill's charging circuit.

Reply to
philo