Drill and angle grinder specs

Hi I am thinking of buying a cordless drill and an angle grinder. B&Q have some cheep offers but the tool look weedy. Can anyone give me some specifications for good do-it-yourself drill and angle grinder

Chris

Reply to
Melaniegree64694

Angle grinder a green Bosch one will do you forever, mine's had a lot of use and is still going strong, same as my Bosch 24V cordless drill.

You get what you pay for with power tools?

Mark S,

Reply to
Mark S.

Much depends on what you want to do with them!

In the case of angle grinders you also need to decide what size is appropriate - you may find yourself needing a 115mm and a 230mm for different tasks. When cutting / grinding metal you will probably find that even the cheapies will do fine. When cutting stone / concrete etc (or anything that makes lots of abrasive dust) you can kill a cheap grinder in no time at all because often the bearings are not well enough sealed to stop the dust getting in them!

What are you wanting to do with the drill? Just use it as a screwdriver and for light drilling (with a mains drill as a backup for the heavy stuff)? Or do you want an "all rounder" to use as your only drill?

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the replies I have had a two speed cable drill for around 10 years but it needs replacing. I am fed up with replacing hacksaw blades so I thourght I would get an angle grinder

Chris

Reply to
Melaniegree64694

If you want a cordless as a replacement for a mains cable drill then you ought to be looking at one of the better "combi" drills (i.e. has hammer mode as well). 14V or better ought to be the sort of thing to look at. Depending on the quality / durability you want, you could pay anything from 40 to 300.

So metal cutting then? A 115mm grinder should no most metal cutting jobs ok. Avoid the Kinzo brand (which some places were giving away free with discs (it was that reliable!)). Even a top end Makita or blue Bosch would not be that expensive if you want a tool that will last.

John Rumm