'Dressing' a house to help it sell.....

Steam? there's posh.

Ours run on crystals :-)

We have wall-to-wall Radio4/World Service 24/7 but I can't remember hearing door bells even on the Archers. Spouse is always confused when he hears a telephone on radio and rushes to the nearest handset (one in every room) whereas I always know that it's broadcast. The phones are nowhere near the radios and the noise is directional. No wrap-round sound for us :-) Come to that, there are no radios near the front or back doors either.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For the now shortly to be 'pulled' Family Affairs, I built them a bell box as was common on 'live' days. Ie, a box with front door bells in it that would be used in the studio to save on dubbing time. And would have liked several different sounding ones. But couldn't find them. Just a bell, a ding dong and a Maplin chime.

Built them a telephone ringer as well... Now at least they do sound different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or for those of use with Canford catalogues, we buy our doorbells from the same place they do :-)

If it was dubbed on, wouldn't it have a different reverberation characteristic from the studio sound?

They shouldn't do, in fact proper Converters Ringing are readily available, I got mine from J Bull but they come up on Ebay.

It always used to annoy me when TV dubbed a Statesman ring when a Viscount phone was in vision (etc)

Owain

Reply to
Owain
[23 lines snipped]

And I thought *I* was a geek. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Only if you've been trainspotting, Huge :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Most people have to commit very large portion of their income to buy a house (and can no longer be so sure inflation will wipe out most of the mortgage debt). So doing up a place while living comfortably elsewhere is not an option for most, having a spare room to move the junk into at best. So not suprising that making a house clean and tidy and bland helps sell. But doing anything more, but for your own benefit, is just a sunk cost.

Reply to
DJC

It sounds like our bathroom. Is it time to upgrade yet?

Reply to
<me9

You add reverb if necessary at the dub. Most decent sound FX are recorded tight and clean so you can 'muddy' them to match.

But doing it in the studio is much better since it also gives the artists their cue.

Sorry, I meant phones often sound different. So ringing them for real in the studio makes more sense than even doorbells.

Yup. Same with cars. But keeping sound FX up to date for where they're not supplied 'live' or as a wild track is extremely costly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's no law against keeping green bathroom suites.

:-(

There should have been a law against their introduction...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What ARE you talking about???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why live elsewherewhile doing up a house?

We (two parents, three children under 3yo) lived in this house while making the plumbing stop leaking so that we could have a fire (in December) and sorting out the neglected electrics (OK, before part P) and gas supply.

Those people have too many possessions. And aspirations.

I don't understand that last sentence.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I hear whispers that coloured suites are starting to come back into fashion.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Heigh ho! The Fishers will be unfashionable AGAIN!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Most people are lazy. They want to move straight into a house and be able to live with it for long enough to decide how to redecorate.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

My old gran had something similar. She also kept a Billy goat and a baby sheep. So she had a ram a lamb a dingdong. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Telephones don't all have the same ring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's good. Mine is whisper green. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And just how long have you been waiting for a suitable thread for that one? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think light is dawning, a Statesman and a Viscount are models of handsets, right? If not I still don't understand.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A billy goat isn't a ram.