Heating

Hi Guys, Wondering if you could help... I have just moved into a new Twigdens home house and have a query regarding the heating system. I apologise in advance as im not technically minded when it comes to this sort of stuff.

We have thermostatic radiator valves in every room in the house bar the study. The main heating thermostat is located in the hall. What I read on various website that it is regulation that you should NOT have a TRV in the same room as the heating thermostat where ours is (in the hall). I have spoken to the builders and they say its ok because its on a bypass. Is this correct or are they just making this up?

Why would you not have the TRV in the study and the radiator without the TRV in the hall along with the main heating thermostat?

Thanks Richard

Reply to
rturner99

It isn't a good idea, (Though not AFAIK against the law) they'd both try and control the temp. in the room at the same time and "fight" each other.

There is a different issue which arises if all your thermo valves can shut at the same time, and stop the flow of heating water altogether. The boiler needs to have *some* water flowing through it so it's heat exchanger and internal controls can work as intended. It's common to provide a bypass to achieve this. sometimes it's integral to the boiler, or a loop of pipework closeby, though it can be something like a heated towel rail in the bathroom, or a radiator without a thermo valve. If it is it's important that their valves are not disturbed.

It seems that the builders are trying to re-assure you about this issue, whereas you are taking issue with the one above.

Well I'd prefer the other way around. I don't like to see the main 'stat where it gets influenced by opening the front door. OTOH you don't want the heating of the whole house influenced by you switching a PC and/or a telly on in a small study. It's my policy to put the main thermostat where you spend most time and want the best control, IE the living room. Though even at that if we put the decorative gas fire on (For jolly Xmas atmosphere), or SWMBO starts ironing in there the rest of the house goes cold. Maybe a different room with more constant sundry heat input would be a better choice.

There are no end of other more complicated systems that are possible, that measure the outside temperature, or contnually measure flow and return temperatures USW.

ISTM the builders have left you with an attempt at a pretty standard set-up but one which is less than optimal. JMHO, I hope you get some others.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:33:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Andy Hall randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Not necessarily. It could have been overseen by the NHBC's Building Control. If so, the OP is stuffed, as they are in the pockets of the major housebuilders (although as I've never heard of Twigdens, there may be a prayer).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula