Central heating question

There is one heating control by the steps leading upstairs. The stairs area is heated by a radiator that cannot be turned off by hand. I notice though that there is a place on the radiator to use a key. I presume then that I can turn this radiator off using a key.

I only want to heat up one room. I want to place the heating control in that room. Is it then okay that I just shut of that radiator by the steps with a key? I presume it is, but just checking.

Reply to
Richard

By "heating control" do you mean wireless room thermostat? In systems where the radiators predominantly have TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves) it is usual to have lockshield valves on the radiator in the room where the room stat is located, so that it can't be accidentlally turned off. I presume that's what you mean when talking about a radiator which needs a key to turn it off?

If you move the room stat to a different place, that's ok - and you can turn off the rad where it used to be. But the room to which you move it mustn't have a TRV on its radiator. If it does, disable it by removing the thermostatic head.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Hi.

The heating control is wired to the boiler. And I am pretty sure the valves on the radiators that I can hand turn are just regular valves.

So, it looks like I am okay to do what I intend. Thanks for the input. Rich.

"Roger Mills (aka Set Square)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Richard