House sell-it-yourself

Does anyone have any experience of selling property via Homes on Sale? Is it effective? As listing is free, does the site's revenue comes from ads?

What about A Quick Sale? The fee of 10-25% seems a bit steep.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

10-25% of the property value? Surely not!
Reply to
Geoffrey

In message , Geoffrey writes

Well, the website at

does have this in the FAQs:

************** How does the price you offer me compare with what I could get if I sold through an Estate Agent? It depends on a number of factors, including the type and location of the property. We normally require a discount off the open market value* of between 10 % and 25%. *the open market value is the price you could expect to achieve within 6 weeks if selling the property through an Estate Agent. **************

Sounds like a fee to me.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

It is not a fee as I read it. *They* buy the property off you at a discounted rate.

They are not selling on your behalf, they buy from you - quickly at a discount, and then presumably place it on the market at a higher rate.

Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

No it isn't. It is a discount that they expect for purchasing your house quickly.

"OR: you could sell your property to A Quick Sale Ltd -"

You sell them your property at a discounted cash price from the market value. They then presumably sell it in a more normal manner, expecting to make market value.

So: market value = £100k. Discount of 10% means they buy it for £90k cash. Then hope to sell it within a couple of months max and achieve at least £100k, hence £10k profit before tax and expenses.

Reply to
Nobody

Could be worth considering in a rapidly falling market if discount is only

10%! Otherwise, unless you are desperate for the cash (and I mean desperate), walk away, or perhaps run!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In message , Nobody writes

Well, whatever you call it, it's still costing you that amount of money to have them buy your house.

Back to the original question: what about Homes on Sale?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Lets say your house is valued around about the national average of £160,000. 10% of that is £16,000. You could buy a lot of advertising space in your local newspapers for that kind of money.

Reply to
BeeJay

I had the quick sale people into our flat in Brighton.

On the phone he said that he'd used a database and valued the property at between 160 - 170k and he would give us a figure of 125 - 145k for the property subject to coming out and having a look.

When he came out to having a look he changed his mind on the valuation to 161k and then offered 130k

I thanked him for his time and waved him off!

Reply to
wonderlander

Interesting - but I suppose he was sort of truthful in that he offered you £5k above the lowest figure he mentioned on the phone. About 25% below their estimated value then. Did you get any 'feel' for the credentials of the chappie who came round - I'm getting the impression that it's all done by freelance bods who have bought into a franchise (and who aren't necessarily literate ).... what did you feel ?

I'm curious about this 'database' - I can see it working if you're valuing one house in a terrace (preumably it's the Land Registry one)

- but if they applied the same logic to our bungalow they'd get a very strange answer - as I said earlier up the thread.

Did you sel the flat in the end - wonder what valuation / price you ended up with ?

Probably the only sensible thing to do !

Adrian Suffolk UK ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Hi

Whoops ! - it wasn't on this thread - it was on the similar thread on uk.legal.moderated...... sorry !

Adrian Suffolk UK

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

Using the appropriate number of fingers?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

I made the initial enquiry via their website and Conner called me from his mobile. He seemed quite polite and was working all the angles.

I wouldn't have to pay solicitors costs / agents fees / I'd save 1k per month from the expense of working away from home etc. He came up with a figure of 10k saving brining his offer into the region of 140k.

He said the database was the same one that estates agents use so that's all I know! I do know that when we had estate agents round to value it in April they ranged from 140k to 180k, now that's some swing!

I already have a buyer, 158k but wanted to explore this route in case the sale falls through!

Reply to
wonderlander

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

If it goes through, Conners' valuation was fairly close!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Sounds a bit like 'knowing the answer that you want to arrive at and adjusting the figures to justify it' - or is that me being cynical ? I can sort of see the sense in doing the 'buy-it-now' thing, if you have circumstances that require it, like having to work away.

Richard - does such a database exist ? Is it the Land Registry one ?

There seem to be lots of factors affecting an Estate Agent's 'valuation'....

Fingers crossed for you !

Wasn't it just..... Hope it all works out for you - good luck !