'Dressing' a house to help it sell.....

Never. But there are equivalents to the 'phone thing in my life, also.

Reply to
Huge

AAaaeeeiiiii!!!!!!!

Reply to
Huge

You seem to be easily pleased. I wish I could sell a house to you.

Reply to
timegoesby

Read the link I gave. It was a list that sells a house. How do I know? I do them up and sell them. People have the money and want a walk in a house with newish modern kitchen, bathroom and fitted wardrobes with a few sticks of furniture. The newer the better. It is worth fitting the odd new sink and mixer tap and replacing all the door handles to good quality items. Have nothing that indicates DIY with all pipes and cables hidden. Then neutral colours. As the TV people keep saying "no clutter". If your furniture is awful then take it away to storage and rent modern furniture, or just live with relatives and leave the place empty. That should sell the place.

Go to the show house on building sites and take pictures. They have professionals to design the interiors to appeal to a wide market.

Reply to
timegoesby

In message , Adrian Brentnall writes

Why not dress the 2nd double bedroom and the hobby room, so that you have 2 double bedrooms and 1 single bedroom, and save the Jacuzzi and some money. You could also lose the big 2nd bathroom, and have a 4 bedroomed house?

They are correct. In fact, presentation is a large feature, (and cost), of most things sold these days. Screws and nails, new houses, sandwiches, and so on.

Are there any other parts of the property that dont look like they should? (As in the bedrooms didnt look like bedrooms).

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

You seem to be easily pleased. I wish I could sell a house to you.

You won't. We bought this one 42 years ago and don't intend moving again. Still haven't unpacked everything from the last time.

It's not a matter of my being easily pleased, it seems that the suggestions being made are for those easily pleased by 'top show'. There's far more to a house than shiny surfaces and downlighters. I can see through that sort of artifice. I'm NOT easily pleased :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To a limited (although probably large) market.

Some people, not all. The discriminating ones want more. We'd rather have something we could make our own.

A mixer tap would be a negative point for us.

Are you suggesting that the original owners have poor quality door handles? That's insulting.

More insulting language. And as for what's said on TV - well, if you set your standards by what others are saying it suggests that you can't think for yourself.

Most modern furniture would be 100% undesirable to many people.

No-one to make coffee or bread then!

But not the whole market. Who wants to be one of a crowd? I'd rather be an individual and make my own judgements, have the furniture, fittings and colours to my tastes, not others'. And I'm not alone.

I've been to 'show houses'. They're just that, for show, not for living. Yesterday I received an IKEA catalogue. I looked at every page and couldn't see any room setting which looked as though it were really being lived in - or could be lived in. The catalogue's in the recycling bin.

For some years I worked for a professional commercial photographer. The artifices practised in the advertising and PR world are dishonest and since my eyes were opened I don't believe anything which smacks of such deceit.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Exactly.

This is a thread about how do you help to sell your house. Not how do you sell your house to Mary Fisher.

Just because you are different, doesn't mean (pace Bernard Shaw) that the entire world should change to suit you.

If there are 10 people like you, then aiming for the other 60million-10 is a more sensible approach for someone _who_wants_to_sell_their_house_.

Gad.

Reply to
Nick Atty

Well it is, but this is a DIY group - rather than a 'how to fleece the punters' one. So opinions on buying a tarted up house are equally as valid.

To explain, if everyone wants to buy a perfect house ready to move into, why read this group?

Oh - I'll tell you. Houses tarted up purely for sale are likely to not give satisfaction to actually live in. Because those doing the tarting up are only interested in making a profit. And therefore there will be many corners cut and bodges.

Which is what 'timegoesby' does.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you seen my houses then? 'fraid not. They sell quickly because they are are tip top in quality, interior and exterior decorative design. Look at the amateur property developer TV programmes. Most people loose money. You have to know what you are doing and what the majority of people want in your area. What sells in a small Yorshire town will not in North London. Most of the people who view my houses are not British. You have to know what appeals to people in the rest of the world. Look at a top quality hotel suite in an international hotel, and that may give you an idea of fitments and quality.

Reply to
timegoesby

I couldn't have put itbetter!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

:)

We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we still do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a visit. Do they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still to have the pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

I also remember a salesman trying to sell us on the wonders of a cable package. It was amusing to see his sales pitch disintegrate when informed that we do not have a TV. Had to be there. :)

Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

I once had visit. Then I continued getting letters.

I don't any more, I sent a VERY stiff letter ...

In my experience they just back off. If we're mad enough not to have a telly who knows what a danger to society we are?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's a little harsh, after all by your own admission people are different. Lots of people could easily live in a typical IKEA room 'set'.

I've always been quite taken with IKEA's attention to detail in their showrooms - things like the way you find things inside the storage units. In many stores units are all either empty or have huge stacks of promo literature inside them. At least in IKEA you can believe that someone wanted to store something in that chest of drawers, etc..

Reply to
Jeremy C B Nicoll

I've got a library of cardboard ones, created over the years for "that special occasion". My two favourite folders are those for jobsworths and companies who don't deliver on their promises and think that that's acceptable.

I expect that Special Branch has us both logged as subversives.

Reply to
Andy Hall

100% Drivel, 100% Dribble, 100% dIMM

You get Monday off Dribble but that means you only have 4 days next week to meet your copper tank sales targets, but while you have the chance, and as this is your last day off until Christmas, why not spend Monday writing some more of your poetry. Its always good for a laugh.

The future's bright the future's copper.

Reply to
Matt

Oh goody :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm all for power showers and the occasional strategically-placed bottle of Molton Brown shower gel in the bathroom, but leaving some used condoms under the bed is taking things too far IMHO.

Owain

Reply to
Owain