'Dressing' a house to help it sell.....

WHAT???

We don't WANT children and grandchildren to think they can come for a free holiday and bugger up our lives. We spent long enough being hampered by them, now we want time to ourselves! And we're not alone :-)

Our office is important to us. The kids can stay in the caravan (very basic) if they want to come.

But need looking after by the buyers :-(

Possibly in a colour the buyers would want to change.

BLECH!

Wanna bet?

Makes it look real though ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message

I always wonder why people put effort into making a house desirable for other people rather than making it desirablefor themselves.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It wouldn't with me. I hate thesmell of bread baking. I've made all our bread for well over forty yearsand still hate the smell.

But I doubt I'd be taken in by any of the suggested ploys. Why not be honest and present the house as it is, let the buyer decide what to do with it to make it his/her ideal living place? If they have any character they're not going to keep it as you think it should be.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message

Ah - so your bungalow isn't attracting the old folk?

Not surprised really, we know better. Bungalows are boring.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message >

Your garden sounds like the best bit. With the bath. Not without it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I couldn't agree more. Toast crumbs and empty coffee cupswith brown-ringed saucers would be more homely.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I can imagine someone doing up a place to rent out to want it to look good, but surely most buying somewhere would prefer the cheapest possible price and then redecorate, etc, to choice?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Well most of what we had done had been done for our benefit - things like the new bathroom, the kitchen revamp, various re-decorations done in previous years had been done for us. but about a year before we did sell we realise we would probably end up having to leave Leeds, so it made sense to do things with that in mind, because we were selling the house, we had to sell and move ideally in a pretty tight window for the move down here, and we wanted to get as much money as possible for it as we wanted to buy another, bigger, inevitably more expensive house.

And while our house did look very nice when we sold it, I couldn't have lived in in it like that for too long, keeping it that un-naturally tidy was hard work......

Yes it would have been nice to to have been living with some of the roundtuits for quite so long, but hey it's not the only thing in life :-)

Reply to
chris French

Why not? The National Lottery manages it every week.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not to me it don't :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suspect it's because most people don't have imagination, Mary

Reply to
Andy Hall

But isn't it just as hard work for the buyer?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I suspect that the posters to uk.d-i-y are not a representative cross section of the house buying population in this respect. It's not necessarily about being taken in by ploys though. I think many people want house which they feel they can move into and not have to do much to it unless they want to.

Because the reality is that some people will be put off buying house like that. This may or may not be sensible response, TBH I don't really care, I wanted our house to sell quickly for the best price. We did that, other houses on the street that went up for sale last year are still on the market.

Our old house was honestly presented when we bought it. With a horrible manky 30 + year old bathroom. pretty mank kitchen, tar stains and smells from a heavy smoker. Crappy rotten drafty windows. Yeah, we could see though this to what it could be for us. But it had been on the market best part of a year when we bought it.

I don't give fig what they do (though I'd be disappointed if they've grubbed up the pear and plum trees we planted....). The house wasn't entirely 'as I thought it should be' it was in part at least, how I though it would look best for a good quick sale

Reply to
chris French

I didn't that that was the case for *all* retired people (or indeed for all children).

Quite right. But You are not Typical, Mary.

They can let them die if they don't like them.

The front door might be the wrong colour regardless of whether it's repainted or not. But if it's freshly painted it suggests the rest of the house will be well maintained.

Nice ding-dong-ding-dong-dong-dong-dong-ding-dong doorbell?

But (most) buyers don't want "real". They want Our Dream Home Happy Every After, preferably £5b below asking price.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

More to the point, it's rather more likely to be forthcoming than anyone else's.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Me neither, Mary, but we are very much in the minority. Apparently over 95% of the adult population have bought a lottery ticket at some point, I'm told.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Mary Fisher writes

What keeping it tidy after they've moved in? Dunno, don't care. I was just trying to sell a house.

well yes, but life, work, children, relaxing get in the way sometimes. I could have left some of them undone at this point, but that may have put a potential buyer off.

Reply to
chris French

"Bob Smith" wrote

Be careful with this one. Some people detest the smell of coffee. Some react badly to it.

If a house smelt of coffee I'd walk out - otherwise I'd be throwing up within minutes. I've even done so with a bad cold so that I couldn't actually smell the coffee - that doesn't stop me reacting badly to its presence!

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara

Sadly not. Most people seem to want to move into a house "as is" (much to the irritation of the delicious Kirsty Alsop(sp?))

I suspect most uk.d-i-y'ers go round houses thinking "redecorate that, replace this, I'll have that wall down, new bathroom, new kitchen, repair those, no problem".

At a very minimum I'll redecorate throughout.

Reply to
Huge

Mary, I used to have quite a bit of sympathy with some of your posts but this just makes me see you as a crabby old moaner - sorry!

While it's good in some ways when the children leave home it's also

*very good* to have tham come back and stay sometimes.
Reply to
usenet