Draft excluding

Hi,

probably a silly question...I tried to draft exclude the back door (wooden) with foam strip and no matter where I stuck it I could not get the door to close without me putting my shoulder against it.

the normal foam strip seems to be far too thick - can anyone recommend a supplier of thinner foam strip or an alternative solution?

Reply to
echo21

=================================== You can get plastic + soft rubber weather strips to nail on the outside of the door jambs. You close the door, push a strip firmly up against the door and nail in place on the jamb. Repeat all around. Focus sell them and probably others but I can't find a reference.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If you are placing the foam strip in the frame rebates so that the door closes against this, then you will do your shoulder a severe injury - it's the wrong stuff for the job :-)

Have a look at the link below and that is what you need. You simply close the door and then after cutting to size, lightly push the seal against the door (starting at the top and working down) and screw the strip into position. Screw, rather than nail it, because the holes are usually elongated to give some adjustment during and after fitting if needed.

stuff is usually available from any of the 'sheds' or local builders merchants.

Remeber, the secret of this stuff is that it has to flex - so just push lightly against the door so as not to deform the seal but enough to stop the draught.

Hope it helps BRG.

Reply to
BRG

The traditional alternative to the other suggestions is to use a sprung strip of copper, which reminds me that I want to get some. I've just had a google to no avail, does anyone know where to get it online (or offline at any of the sheds, although I don't remember ever seeing it there)?

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Search for "proper copper" on eBay.

Reply to
Huge

We used some of this rubber strip on the front door of our last house with very good results. It provides a damned good seal, so much so that you had to close the door with force to get it to close properly.

Reply to
Jon

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It used to be called "Atomic Strip" My whole house is done with it and it wails in a high wind I am going to replace it all with Reddiseals stuff this summer...

Reply to
mail

Reddiseals Chris

Reply to
mail

Thanks for that - and thanks to everyone else for replying.

Excuse my ignorance, am I assuming correctly that this would go on the outside of the door like Cicero mentioned? If so, that sounds like the best plan and even I might not mess it up!

Reply to
echo21

>>> This stuff is usually available from any of the 'sheds' or local builders

================================== Yes, this does go outside but on the door jambs (door frame) - NOT on the door itself. Place a strip on the jamb and push it in firmly enough make a good seal (but not too firmly that it stops the door closing). Start at the top and keep checking as you go that it is making contact with the door all the way down. You'll get instructions with the strip anyway.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Often easier to just replace or re-position the door stop. The problem is getting wooden doors to stay in the same position when the weather changes, and this affects most draught excluders too. The best excluder I've seen was a 5mm silcone tube that really did bounce back, even after being compressed for a couple of weeks. IME other materials don't, at least not for very long.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Problem there Stuart that being a 'back door' there would be no planted stops but a rebated frame.

But, there is the old trick (invented before the patent draughtstrips) and that is to cut a narrow doorstop and nail it onto the top of the existing rebated to follow the shape of the door - and then take it off and refit every time the seasons change. :-)

True there about the 'bounce' on the seal - or lack of it, it's a right pain!

BRG

Reply to
BRG