Double Glazing Quote

For a rear door split 60/40 White Upvc and a small side window (50cm X 35cm) no opening.

Just had a quote, what would you expect to be fair???. On the side job (I think)

Reply to
Philå

Well you either know or you don't. Go and look for prices of doors and windows, add them together and see if it is more or less what you have been quoted. I would say around £350.

Reply to
john

I have seen doors in B&Q and that.

No, this quote is for supply and fitting.??

Any more ideas??

Need advice, I think he knows he has the job, and I don't want to be ripped.

Reply to
Philå

Any brickwork or is it straight replacement?

Reply to
Maria

Get an online quote to see what the material cost is

Reply to
Stuart Noble

1 door, and an attached window, or 1 door and a separate window?

I bought a similar upvc window 2 weeks ago, £82. Took around 2 hours complete to fit it (it was upstairs,so access wasnt easy). Basic upvc rear doors are £150 upwards. A days labour,probably 5 hours in reality, so add £100 to what the materials cost, and you are about there. Window - £80-100 Door - £150- £350 Consumables (sealer,screws/fixings/seal strips etc) - £10-30 Labour - £100ish (depending what 'on the side' means - if it is someone you know doing you a favour, then it may not be this much, if it is going through the books, it may be double)

At the absolute minimum, it has got to be £350. £500 would be reasonable, even with a basic door. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

No Brickwork..

Reply to
Philå

£800, and I thought it was a good deal...

Well, I will have to try another quote.

Reply to
Philå

We were quoted £1200 for a pair of french doors with brickwork from window level, so I'd guess about £650.

Reply to
Maria

Work out how long it would take him (or how long it would take you and divide by

2), and then multiply by a reasonable hourly rate for a semi-skilled worker - say £15 per hour. Add on the cost of materials from B&Q or looked up on the interweb, and bob is, indeed, your live-in lodger. Fitting a door and a window, about a day and a half. Say 12-15 hours. £200-£250 quid labour. You have to figure that the guy is not a charity, and is doing it as a living, so you have to expect to pay a reasonable amount.
Reply to
Dave Gordon

Ask him how long he expects to take (and when he can start ha ha), and get a breakdown of the quote/estimate into parts and labour. Then work out his hourly rate from the labour cost. If its more than you earn, tell him you want to get a few other quotes to compare. He may well revise downward.

Reply to
Dave Gordon

Why?

What does the hourly rate of one have to do with the other?

Reply to
Andy Hall

That isnt astronomical. A window/door Company will charge that every day. Someone doing it 'on the side' is taking the piss.

A small one man business (like me) could do it with minimum overheads. If I make £100 a day, I am happy. I'd price up the parts, then add £120 to the total. Your job would be possible, just about, at £350. 5 hours or so fitting, plus another 2 collecting the stuff etc. The Company will send out 2 people to fit it, at maybe £150 a day each, so there is a large discrepancy immediately. They'll also charge you a retail price for the door/window, so that'll be more than if you bought it at a trade supplier. Your £800 is then looking about right for a window company. A one man business is making £500 for a days work at that price - in my view that is rather too much to ask. (and all depneds of course on the cost/quality of the supplied door, if it was a £500 door, then it wouldnt be too bad)

But, there again, I dont charge enough. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

breakdown of the

earn, tell him you want to

Some people, myself included, have an aversion to paying a tradesman more than I earn myself. If he earns more per hour, I would rather do it myself and take the time off work.

Reply to
Dave Gordon

OK, I see your point, but it does also imply opportunity and ability.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Alan, where abouts are you?? Fancy a quick Saturday Door and little window.. Cash??

Reply to
Philå

If you are within 30 miles of Leicester then I could quote, but I suspect you are a bit further away than that. Ta alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

For what quality? Would you use the same question for a car or a washing machine? No, you'd be asking whats the best value for money for your budget. See my new thread about DG.

Reply to
Mike Barnard