Door Handles

Hi,

Im currently about to fit new doors with rose type handles to all the doors in my house. For the standard doors Ive brought a latch(?) that is spring loaded so that will go inside the door and provide the spring force required for the handle return.

However, on my back door this has got a combined lock and latch fitting. Do these also have a spring? Im sure when I have taken off the door handles in the past for painting the return spring has been part of the handle and not part of the lock mechinism. If so what do I need to buy to give me a combined lock and sprung latch?

Also - I was thinking about replacing the additional bolt type locks on the door with the yale type ones that fit into the actual door. Will drilling the hole to insert the lock weaken the door and make it less secure that the bolt type locks?

Cheers,

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

| Hi, |=20 | Im currently about to fit new doors with rose type handles to all the | doors in my house. For the standard doors Ive brought a latch(?) that | is spring loaded so that will go inside the door and provide the spring | force required for the handle return.

While you have the locks off make sure they are 5 lever deadlocks, or better, for improved security. Our local locksmith has 5 lever direct replacements for most existing locks. Remember to fit the correct striking plate, to resist brute force entry.

| However, on my back door this has got a combined lock and latch | fitting. Do these also have a spring?=20

All I have fitted, 3 and 5 lever have a spring on the latch but the deadlock is just operated by the key. This is easily tested by hand.

| Im sure when I have taken off the | door handles in the past for painting the return spring has been part | of the handle and not part of the lock mechinism. If so what do I need | to buy to give me a combined lock and sprung latch? |=20 | Also - I was thinking about replacing the additional bolt type locks on | the door with the yale type ones that fit into the actual door. Will | drilling the hole to insert the lock weaken the door and make it less | secure that the bolt type locks?

Doors are designed to have locks fitted.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

Not entirely sure what you mean by a rose type handle: do you mean a round door knob rather than a lever handle? (links to pictures at eg Screwfix always helpful!)

Again - not entirely clear! Do you mean the back door has a lever handle? These do normally have a spring included to return the lever to the horizontal position; but they are included in the handle when you buy them (if they are needed). They are often missing on old doors as they snap.

If you are talking about a mortice latch (like then they do always have a spring inside, but you never see it as it's part of the latch.

So in summary - unless I've totally misunderstood you - any springs you need will be included in the latch/knob/lever; you don't need to add ort remove them.

Not unless maybe if you drill the hole very close to another potential weak spot, like the door latch or a joint; or if the door stiles are exceptionally narrow (which they might just be if an unusually large amount needed to be planed off to fit the door. If you can't tell the thickness, look at the top of the door from above, where you can normally see the ends of the stiles.).

hth David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi,

This is a rose type handle:

as I understand it dont have a spring to return the handle.

The back door currently has a handle like this...

and a latch like this ...

my thinking is that the spring action is currently provided by the handle and not the latch - or does this type of latch and combined lock have a spring in it as well and is suitable for direct fitment of a rose type handle that does not have a spring?

Lets hope so!

Clear on the rest.

Cheers,

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

ceramic knob emblazoned with a picture of a big rose (and was too polite to question your taste in door furniture!) I've never come across one of your 'rose type' handles I'm afraid (ie in bits!), so wouldn't like to comment about how those work.

David

Reply to
Lobster

LOL!

So the question is - does the latch and lock have a spring return in it?

Cheers,

CM

Reply to
Charles Middleton

The one pictured in your e-handles link? Yes, for sure.

David

Reply to
Lobster