DIY Enthusiasts/DIY Disasters Couples- New Primetime Saturday Night Comedy Show

Yup - /use/ is about right.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Think you might have realised this is a group about DIY. If you'd been researching making a *decent* prog on DIY - rather than the more usual disaster and smarmy fix type, you might have had a better reception.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or else, apply shoring and carry on.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Exactly, tv is overrun with this sort of junk already. Grand designs, Tommy walsh, and buy & fix programs demonstrate that there is an audience for real diy. So many viewers are fed up with vapid junk.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

If we really have to have a panel of comedians, why not watch them=20 attempting DIY? Or pluck people at random from the street and ask them=20 to put up a shelf (bit of a clich=E9, that one) or change a plug, or hang= =20 a door, or take apart some bit of electrical equipment not designed to=20 be repaired and repair it.

Bring back anything that involves real people actually thinking. And I=20 don't mean programmes where it's been set up in advance to make it=20 "entertaining" like Scrap Heap Challenge. Nor do I mean programmes where=20 the original idea gets swamped by media luvvies who want to make it=20 "more exciting" like Robot Wars. The rules in that are so skewed that I=20 threw away the plans I had for a rather nice entry - you're not allowed=20 to damage the house robots, for example, but they're allowed to trash=20 you.

Bring back almost anything that involved thinking instead of jerks=20 jiggling their egos in front of me.

More Ray Mears, less Brer Grills. More Great Egg Race, less Robot Wars. More real, less "reality".

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember TVCouplesShow saying something like:

Used to be funny.

Dreadful auld bag.

Never heard of her - was she on the Wright Stuff about a year ago?

Honestly, if that's the standard to expect, it sounds like a dreadful yet-another-diy-disaster-show.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel saying something like:

Whatever happened to Bush Tucker Man?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Mmmbpf. Sorry. Pass the ketchup.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Couldn't have put it better myself

(ex Great Egg Racer)

newshound

Visions of Drivel getting plucked from random and asked to install some plastic pipe.....

Reply to
ARWadsworth

She's a Geordie divorcee.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ha! That one went right over his head, Dave ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

or take apart some bit of electrical equipment not designed to

I do that every day for a living, Skip ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Tribe of Monkeys ? Troop of Monkeys ? (Troupe ??)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I do it frequently instead of going and earning a living! Where d'yer=20 think the nickname came from?

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I like the QI story about Joseph Bazalgette and the fact that a descendent is still pumping shit as a programme maker.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Where does a rabbit on BBQ come into it?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yeah, but at least if it's found it's way to the skip, the original owner has accepted that it's reached the end of its life. OTOH, the stuff coming across my bench, is still someone's pride and joy ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I vaguely remember a TV programme where professionals watched reality-ish DIY programmes and commented on where everybody was going wrong. The only bit I remember was something along the lines of: no! take the socket off /before/ you tile the wall! or summat.

Probably never got past the pilot because it was too sensible.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

The thought of anyone plucking Drivel has just put me right off my breakfast.

Reply to
Jules Richardson