DIY death

It's because the output shaft is at an angle to the input shaft, as opposed to a straight grinder where it isn't.

Rob Morley

I have that sort of trouble when I've been at the apple juice.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:09:44 +0100,it is alleged that Chris Bacon spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

Rule#1: never post when tired, you are of course correct.

Reply to
Chip

True, but the kind of person who'd hire it, I'd assume, is likely someone who's been watching Tommy Walsh etc or one of these shows and decides they're going to have a go one weekend. I'd like to think someone who'd pay to buy one would be a bit more DIY competent. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

My father is 71 and while he does quite a few jobs with me I don't let him near the 230 grinder or the cross-cut saw. It's not so much his age but he always takes too many bloody risks. When I grew up he used to change exhausts under the car with a standard jack, stuff I wouldn't do at all. I'm surprised he's made it this far.

I remember on a DIY disasters program on the BBC they showed this guy who was fitting his own kitchen and using a cross-cut saw. I don't know how the hell he did it but after making a cut on some wood he realised he'd cut his hand off totally at his wrist. They did actually stitch it back on for him but I wish I'd never watched that sodding program, that story is etched in my brain everytime I look at that tool now. Makes me queezy.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Yup, next thing you know they will start letting people drive cars and reproduce without government apporval.... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Except that you do need government approval to drive a car - it's called a licence. I'm sure there are plenty who'd wish people had to get government approval to reproduce ;-)

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I take it a powered saw of some sort, not a hand cross cut saw.

*Accidentally* cutting ones own hand off with a hand saw would take some doing, it hurts if you just touch yourself with one.

And to be honest the powered reciprocating saws don't strike me as all that dangerous only a little bit more so than a hand saw as they won't stop the moment you want it to. How ever a circular or cut off saw is a whole different ball game they take ages to stop more than enough stored energy to have yer 'and off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well one does question the wisdom of buying a large angle grinder at a £20 price point.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was listening to a Radio4 quiz show on the car radio yesterday, and there was a wonderful quote from the Duke of Wellington (I think it was) who thought that railways were a bad idea because it would allow the lower classes to move about!

He associated cheap travel with the possibility of revolution.

I recently used the Waterloo and City line and could see his point....

Reply to
Andy Hall

It does not matter - in fact it may be better to have an "accident" with a "cheap" machine than an expensive one which will do *exactly* the same job.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It would be much safer Andy - by your own logic it wouldn't last long enough to have an accident with - wheras a quality brand would. :-)

Dave

Reply to
david lang

The Drain is one of the reasons I bought a Brompton. I love the Underground, but the W&C (how aptly named) at rush hour is just too much even for me.

Reply to
RichardS

Watched the first 10 minutes of mechannibals. Bunch of people pulling their houses apart for a 50% chance of winning replacements for all the stuff the tore apart. Turned it off.

Scrapheap OTOH - that was an impressive chopper. Did I say that right?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Good aren't they!

Reply to
Badger

Theyre called dangle grinders, to remind everyone to treat them with respect.

No, I dont know from experience :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

yup - don't know how I managed without it now, almost managing to get fit again!

C21 commuting uber-chic....

Reply to
RichardS