DiY at Aldi

e.

Is it a Vernier if it doesn't have a vernier scale?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I think I checked this one over for such things but it wasn't anything that was resolvable (at the time anyway). In this case the clamp had to be open pretty wide as we could get it on the desktop and under the supporting steel frame (just).

From memory, the foot of the casting wasn't dead flat, had a slight raising in the middle or some such that meant it was sitting on a small section in the middle, rather than the entire (albeit small) diameter of the base.

Given a second look at it I might use some of that Metal Epoxy to glue the metal part of the foot to a short length (100-150mm) of (even ally) angle with some rubber stuck inside that ... and if that stays bonded, I could also clamp the angle to the desk with a couple of small 'G' clamps or even drill a couple of holes and drop bolts and wingnuts through if it's going to be there for a while.

Quite, but it (or our one) wasn't even clamped well enough to stop it all rotating on the base when even moderate effort was applied. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've tried it aga

It seems to pivot around the hole in the rubber foot, when you grab the vice jaws and twist them (too easily I mean), no matter how tight you do up the clamp.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I got daughter to pick me one up the bench clamp vice when she was going past Aldi on Sunday and it does exactly the same thing as the one my mate has, and that's swivel about on it's base when you give it any reasonably heavy (admittedly) twisting action to the jaws.

I think I will try modifying mine by adding a short length of ally angle under the base so that the turning moment is passed to the bench via the ally, rather than just the friction of the rubber pad under the base.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The drill bit set is remarkably good value. It's 238 useful pieces, made up to 400 with wall plugs & 4 screw holders.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr