Dishwasher Element Problem

Our Hoover Dishwasher got stuck in mid cycle last night. A quick diagnosis revealed a hole blown in the element. I've removed the element but before I spend out on a new one, does anyone think that the resultant short may have damaged some other part of the machine (controller?). As the machine is around eight years old I would hate to spend out around 30 quid on a new element only to find I should have put it to towards a new machine instead!
I've put a voltmeter across the element wires & run the machine up, but I'm not sure at what point the element should come on, also would there be a voltage with no water in the machine?
hi there, there will be no power on the wires until the machine calls for heat, ie when the machine has water in there. best to just get a new element. bob

have
instead!
I'm

Hi
If you know how to do it safely you can put a lightbulb on in lieu of the element, and cycle the machine to see if its just the elephant thats cooked.
I'd be happy to spend 30 on an 8 y/o machine, 8 years isnt that old, and 30 isnt that much.
Regards, NT

Do the elements have water sensors to cut off the heater when the machine is dry? If so, you might have the old fridge door light problem, as you can't see the light when you need to (because the door is closed).
I'm thinking that the only time the element may get used is for the drying of the dishes at the end of the cycle. Or, is the same one used to heat the water as well? On mine, I'm not too sure, as the element is quite high up and I'm not convinced that the water level goes that high.
F./
PS The solution to the fridge thing is simple...just drill an 8mm hole through the door... ;-)