digital wristwatches

Why do they all have so many unwanted functions ? If they were all dropped, we could have buttonless, permanently sealed, solar powered, radio controlled digital wristwatches that were virtually everlasting - and a lot cheaper too..

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

because they can.

probably not cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All I want on a watch is that it be analogue, have black hands on a white background with seconds hand, Roman numerals, the date, and a long lasting battery. Nothing else matters.

Disclaimer: I haven't had a watch for more than 10 years.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Same as software. It's somebody's job to invent features, so features get invented.

Reply to
Max Quad

there was one brand that did that I found. sadly the bloody straps were carp. Tissot?

effin expensive

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm quite happy with my watch that has: black hands on a white background with seconds hand, and Arabic numerals, and a long lasting battery. Nothing more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well quite. I should also have said that it should cost around £20.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I did find one with a plastic fake crocodile strap for £3.95 enetr 'anaolog watches' asnd sort by price ascending.

The trouble with the £3.95 ones is that by the time you have replaced the battery and the strap, neither of which are fit for purpose ex works, its a £25 watch generally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Snap. Have you noticed how many analogue watches have hands that have similar colours as the watch face which makes it difficult to tell the time other than in bright sunshine?

1+ I use my smart phone as a timepiece these days.
Reply to
alan

I use a smart SWMBO. Then I can get by with a £13 Tesco PAYG that I put £5/year on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have had my Junghans Megasolar for twenty years that does just that thought it does have buttons but I never use them.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Not quite. There are a handful of standard chips and the features are there by default so most makers provide the buttons to go with them.

Take a look on your local market for cheap digital watches - they are still available but you might have to accept a stopwatch function too.

Ironically you can get designer minimalist ones - for a price!

Solar powered is a bit of a washout, and the radio controlled ones burn a lot more juice than the basic 32768Hz quartz crystal ones.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I use a dumb SWMBO - when I have to get ready its always an hour in advance, when she has to get ready its already 30 minutes too late.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Argos (in store) often have a selection of watches at £5 each. I buy them for work & chuck them when the battery runs out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not clear what you mean? Mine and my partner's work fine. And have done for several years now. Both modest price-range Citizen Eco-Drive models.

I would have preferred Arabic numerals to the simple markers mine has. I would like it if it could be set by, for example, bumping it against a suitable NFC phone. That would have allowed elimination of the "winder".

Reply to
polygonum

but they keep better time. Haveing just got a new Casio "solar" watch - because it was cheaper then replacing the strap and glass on my old one - I'll see how the solar bit works.

Reply to
charles

I have one which cost 10 quid eight years ago, bought in a shop in Keswick - in the superior north. The battery failed after 6 years, a pack of batteries of all different sizes which has come in very handy cost me 99p. Battery fitted and the watch is still fine as is the strap.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Martin Brown presented the following explanation :

I would suggest you are very wrong there....

I have one I bought around 7 years ago, titanium, solar powered and radio controlled. Its my everyday watch and quite battered now, but its very light, qite thin, is always spot on to a fraction of a second and all I have had to do is wwear it. I am normally bare armed, which is probly the reason it always shows to be fully charged and when I have bothered to check, it always shows that it has synched successfully the night before. They don't really use much battery for the radio recetion, it is not constantly synching - they try to sync twice during the night, then give up if the second attempt fails until the next night.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wonder if they will have the same problem as the other battery-less technologies such as "Seiko Kinetic" that use (wet) capacitor technology to store the power. The capacitor fails after a few years, or sooner if you leave it to fully discharge.

Reply to
alan

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Yeah, I have a Casio one. In general it works well. and I like the radio controlledness.

However it does struggle to keep charged during the winter sometimes. I tend to be wearing a fleece, or jumper a lot of the time and so it often ends up covered up. Most of the time it's ok, and if I pop it on the window cill, it soon charges up.

Reply to
chris French